Dyslexia - exam concessions?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
anniec

Dyslexia - exam concessions?

Post by anniec »

Hi- Can any body tell me what concessions (if any) are made in the 11+ exams for a child with dyslexia? Also, if there are concessions, what 'evidence' the exam board need ahead of the exam? If anyone has experience of this I'd really appreciate hearing back. TIA
Guest55

Re: Dyslexia - exam concessions?

Post by Guest55 »

They give very few adjustments.

We had 25% recommended and got 10% but that is some years back now. We had a full Ed Psych report as evidence; in every exam since then [GCSE, AS, A level, uni] DS has been granted the 25% additional time.
PurpleDuck

Re: Dyslexia - exam concessions?

Post by PurpleDuck »

Just to add to Guest's reply - schools usually require the psychologist's report with the recommendation of additional time for exams to be submitted to them well ahead of the entrance exams, typically during the registration process. This is to enable them to put all necessary arrangements in place (e.g. children who are allowed additional time due to dyslexia or other conditions would normally write their exam in a separate room from the rest of the group) and clarify whatever queries they may have with the parents.
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)