AGS - Houses and Tutor Groups

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
MrsGrylls

AGS - Houses and Tutor Groups

Post by MrsGrylls »

Please can someone in the know explain how the House system and tutor group allocations work at AGS please? A friend whose DS is going in September has told me that you can choose/request which house your DS goes into. She heard this in the context of her wanting her DS to be in the same house as his friends so that they can play their preferred team sport all together. Apparently, they're all going to request to be in the same house :?

Apart from the obvious narrowing of opportunities to make new friends, I think this is totally wrong and thought that AGS allocates each child to a tutor group with each tutor group representing one of the 6 houses. Presumably there is then some inter-house sporting competitiveness but for those keenies like my friends DS and his mates who want to play more sport, any extra-curricular sport would be open to anyone across the whole year group and house loyalties wouldn't come into it?

I didn't want to spout off without checking my facts first - am I right? :wink:

Thanks,
ConfusedAylesburyMum

Re: AGS - Houses and Tutor Groups

Post by ConfusedAylesburyMum »

Hi. My son is in Year 7 at AGS.

My understanding is that the only reason you can ask for a specific house (form) is if there is a family reason - brother in a house or father/grandfather went to AGS and was in a certain form. Being friends is not a reason they will accept for being in same form/house.

As a matter of course they try and split up boys coming from the same school. Eight boys went from my sons primary school and none are in his form.

Hope that helps
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

They would not all be allowed to be in the same group together.

One of the reasons we did not choose the school was the lack of sports teams - very strong first teams then few other options for representing the school. When there are 180 boys this seems a bit crazy.
ConfusedAylesburyMum

Post by ConfusedAylesburyMum »

Forgot to answer the sports bit of your question.

House sporting events go on all the time - he had house swimming just before the end of term, and so far has also taken part in house rugby and basketball but chose not to run in house cross country cos he's not built for running!!

In Year 7 & 8 there is only rugby for school team (no football) but also other teams like basketball etc. For rugby there are 2 teams in his year with many never having played rugby before. Seems to be plenty of opportunities for those that want to take part in school teams or just go along to the training. Sport is quite a big deal at AGS which suits my son. But then many other things are a big deal as well including house music!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I'd check how many teams they run - I knew a good cricketer who played for my son's club and at District level who did not get in the First XI - no team or any way of going to nets for him to get into the team.
MrsGrylls

Post by MrsGrylls »

Thank you both for the insights. Glad to hear it's as I thought re the house/form allocations. Would be bonkers if they could somehow manage it so they were all in the same house - it's funny isn't it how these ideas start and grow legs :)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now