Travel to School

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
ToadMum

Re: Travel to School

Post by ToadMum »

If the OP ever does pop back onto the forum to read these responses, I would be tempted to ask him / her which route s/he thought that their DD would be intending to take, having tried out all the options (depending on which tube / rail station or bus route is most convenient to home) before putting the school on her CAF? It would appear from said responses, though, that not many would recommend any of them...
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
justkeepmoving

Post by justkeepmoving »

Well, having read all the above replies, I would be surprised if the OP ever bothers to ask this forum for help again. Yes it is a long journey, one that my daughter is very fortunate not to have to make. However, many girls at BHS do manage it ok. A lot of grammar school pupils have long journeys to school, involving walking to school bus stop then up to an hour on bus. Not everyone is lucky enough to have an exceptional school nearby so feel it is worth making the effort.
So, baba15, while I cannot help with this issue, I can offer your daughter best wishes for her future at BHS and if there is anything else you want answers to, just ask.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I very much doubt that 'lots of girls' make this particular journey.

GS are not the only good schools in this area ...

Parents should research travel options before they apply to a school for a place.
FirstCh

Post by FirstCh »

Hi,

I just saw this topic, after doing some search on about the travel from Harrow to BHS.
My DD will be joining yr7 couple of weeks time ( as she been offered the place last week).
I would like to find out can we able to get more details about the transportation being used by the DD's travel from Harrow area to BHS please.
Just looking for options, so that DD's ( if possible) can travel together on daily basis.
greengekho

Post by greengekho »

justkeepmoving wrote:Well, having read all the above replies, I would be surprised if the OP ever bothers to ask this forum for help again.
Me too. TBH it isn't kind at all when someone asks a question and folk judge the validity of the question instead of just answering it. It isn't the first time I've seen this sort of slamming down on the forum and it's often the same folk doing the slamming. If folk don't feel the person posing the question is valid in their query then simply just don't reply! It's better not to say anything than question the person's motives/decisions/choices...it detracts from whatever the original question was about and does not make it easy for folk to ask for help.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Perhaps some of us have seen the damage, both to the student and the school, of long 'commutes'? These journeys are just not necessary as there will be a good school nearer home.

When you've had to deal with parents that are reluctant to travel to the school that they send their child to every day then perhaps you would understand?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

greengekho wrote:
justkeepmoving wrote:Well, having read all the above replies, I would be surprised if the OP ever bothers to ask this forum for help again.
Me too. TBH it isn't kind at all when someone asks a question and folk judge the validity of the question instead of just answering it. It isn't the first time I've seen this sort of slamming down on the forum and it's often the same folk doing the slamming. If folk don't feel the person posing the question is valid in their query then simply just don't reply! It's better not to say anything than question the person's motives/decisions/choices...it detracts from whatever the original question was about and does not make it easy for folk to ask for help.
Well, now the OP's DD will have had a whole year finding the best, not at all tiring, way of making the journey, perhaps s/he might come back and provide helpful, non-judgemental advice to FirstCh on their thread
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... 12&t=51930,
since the journey concerned there sounds remarkably similar :) .
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

greengekho wrote:Me too. TBH it isn't kind at all when someone asks a question and folk judge the validity of the question instead of just answering it. It isn't the first time I've seen this sort of slamming down on the forum and it's often the same folk doing the slamming. If folk don't feel the person posing the question is valid in their query then simply just don't reply! It's better not to say anything than question the person's motives/decisions/choices...it detracts from whatever the original question was about and does not make it easy for folk to ask for help.
The trouble is, when someone asks the sort of question the OP has asked, a factual, non-opinionated answer looks something like this:

Bus number 123 from Town A to station
0745 train to Town B
15 minutes walk from Town B station to school.

In other words, all information easily accessible on google maps or similar.

I don't mind volunteering advice to help people out with questions on various topics but performing a belated concierge service for people that have been offered places at a school but who haven't planned their travel beforehand is not something I'm always willing to do. When I do, I reserve the right to add my opinion, such is the nature of a forum. The OP can disregard it if they wish to. I disagree with your last sentence. This is a public forum and all posts are there for everyone's benefit, not just the OP's. It's unlikely that my view of the practicality of a journey is going to deter someone who has already accepted a place, but it might prove useful to others at an earlier stage and save them the trouble of finding out that there is no viable journey to the place they've accepted.

FirstCh, I think the best thing to do is to stick to the plan you outlined on your other post and once your daughter has started, she will make friends on her commute and at school and other travel options may emerge as she gets to know people from your area.
munisha

Post by munisha »

There are a couple of door to door private bus services that run between Harrow and the school. It's not something I use but do know of other girls using this service. It's possibly worth contacting the school to see if you can get in touch with other girls travelling from Harrow aswell.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now