Disheartened over mock

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Daogroupie

Re: Disheartened over mock

Post by Daogroupie »

Don't change him. it is wonderful he can take it all in his stride. Well done him. I know students who were very nervous taking Sutton mocks last weekend, ironically the ones who are most likely to do well. Perhaps it was the weight of parental expectation!. Going in with a relaxed attitude is perfect. DG
EssexLady

Post by EssexLady »

Highly appreciate the help/tips provided on this forum esp. by members like Daogroupie and a few others as well. Big thanks to you all:)

My DC did Sutton Mock last week, and from the feedback i got from dc we feel dc needs to still work on the vocab. part. We are looking for CEM (County high, Essex) and a few others CEM format exams. Any suggestions for Vocab books, that would be helpful for CEM format.

Thanks.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

This is a query about BUCKS which is a fully selective LA - the top 30% qualify and places are NOT allocated by score.

Mocks are not needed here.
tropicmama

Post by tropicmama »

I'm quite relieved that at Bucks there is just that one qualifying score. I've heard that in other areas, children are ranked according to their scores, depending on which GS they want to go to :shock: I think that's too much pressure to put on any child's shoulders.

Which reminds me, and apologies in advance if this is covered elsewhere I have not seen yet, but my son was born in July and would be taking the test less than 2 months after he turns 10. I am sure there will be a good number of children in this position but I have been told there is some kind of adjustment in their scores that take into consideration 'younger' test takers? If so, how does it work or is this something that is not publicised?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

tropicmama wrote:I'm quite relieved that at Bucks there is just that one qualifying score. I've heard that in other areas, children are ranked according to their scores, depending on which GS they want to go to :shock: I think that's too much pressure to put on any child's shoulders.

Which reminds me, and apologies in advance if this is covered elsewhere I have not seen yet, but my son was born in July and would be taking the test less than 2 months after he turns 10. I am sure there will be a good number of children in this position but I have been told there is some kind of adjustment in their scores that take into consideration 'younger' test takers? If so, how does it work or is this something that is not publicised?
The scores will be standardised by age - usually by birth month . So your your child would be compared with all the others of the same age. It may be that the mean score will be higher for older age groups than for the lower ones, but it doesn't necessarily follow; the May birthdays may do better on average than the Aprils, for example.

The result of this is that the raw score underlying a given standardised score (e.g. the crucial 121) may / will differ from one age group to another, but the number of children of each age achieving a given standardised score should reflect their representation in the cohort as a whole.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx