RGS and AGS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Rags

Re: RGS and AGS

Post by Rags »

tropicmama wrote:Wow, detentions seem to be rampant in both RGS and AGS - whatever do boys get these for?
From experience (AGS)...

Late/missing homework
Failure to return forms
Climbing on the roof
'clever' (inappropriate) responses to teachers
Incorrect uniform

Mostly homework issues.
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

I think you will find JHGS also hands out plenty of detentions, again mainly for late homework, incorrect/forgotten uniform, answering back. They do have a bad behaviour point system so after-school detentions, I believe, are given out to repeat offenders. If DS learns from mistakes quickly then there is nothing to worry about. My DS got a bad point within 2 weeks of starting in Yr7 (he forgot part of his PE kit) but he hasn't got one since as he doesn't want a detention, so for us the system works.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

It might be worth posting links to the behaviour policies?
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

Would be happy to, G55 but I didn't know such an area existed. If you have a link that would help, but in the meantime I will search for it.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

AGS

http://www.ags.bucks.sch.uk/wp-content/ ... olicy1.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

RGS

http://www.rgshw.com/userfiles/rgshw/do ... 202014.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

Thank you G55..this is the JHGS behaviour policy, but not sure where I should put it on this site, so if you can find the right location it would be appreciated. http://upload.reactcdn.co.uk/johnhampde ... y_2014.pdf
tropicmama

Post by tropicmama »

Thank you all for the useful information. I really appreciate it. Not long to go now....
nancygirl84

Post by nancygirl84 »

I am pretty sure the Head at AGS has been there since Sept 2014 while the Head of RGS did definitely start there in 2015, having moved from CGS.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Both rgs and jh tend to hand out most detentions for late homework and inappropriate use of ipads in class. Rgs will make those without proper kit and no letter run for the whole session, jh give behaviour points and lunchtime detentions. Jh ups the strictness over rgs as they also confiscate ipads for inappropriate use for up to three nights, and confiscate any phone discovered for half a term. Both schools have break and lunchtime litter picking as well for poor behaviour during breaks, again jh being the stricter, with litter picking duties handed out for eating in corridors etc. (The school is extremely clean :D )
The conduct points have to be neutral or above each term in order to be granted the half day at the end of each term.....amazing how keen and well behaved my son became in the last two weeks before Christmas!
I honestly don't know about detentions for disruptive behaviour or fighting etc as the boys have thus far stayed clean in that department, just homework or iPad sillies or kit here.
In total so far 3 boys over four years: 1 after school, 1 litter picking, 2 missing kit lunchtimes and a few lunchtime for late homework, 1 confiscated iPad and first break detention writing the apology letter to get it back next day, 1 confiscated phone.
I honestly think boy's schools have to be this strict, if you give an inch they take a mile!
Last edited by southbucks3 on Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

southbucks3 wrote: I honestly think boy's schools have to be this strict, if you give an inch they take a mile!
There are different approached to managing behaviour - to my mind praising good behaviour and noticing it always seems to work better than punishment. I can count on one hand the detentions I've given.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now