Out of catchment & applying for a GS place

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

BlueBerry

Out of catchment & applying for a GS place

Post by BlueBerry »

As many of you know we were hoping to move to Bucks in order to be closer to my family. Well, there's been a slight change of plans. My DH may possibly be working overseas for a couple of years and we may not be moving to Bucks but to the next county, Berkshire - mainly because I'll have a strong support network there.

Looking at the Bucks 2015 allocation profile, it looks like all of RGS places were filled with in catchment pupils. But JHGS had out of catchment applicants to a distance of approx. 8 miles. Can someone please tell me whether my interpretation of reading the allocation profile is correct? That is, in theory we can live outside the catchment & still apply to JHGS and have a good chance of gaining a place (pending all spaces being filled by the qualified in catchment applicants & that there are available spaces). And that we have absolutely no chance in getting in RGS?
Sally-Anne

Re: Out of catchment & applying for a GS place

Post by Sally-Anne »

The Wycombe schools are always the most unpredictable and hardest to call. If you look at the Allocation Profile for all of them together (including the girls' school) for the last few years you will see what I mean.

My crystal ball says that you should get something provided you are within range of the last few years' profiles, but I don't think even I would care to guess what it might be!

Please do research the back-up options very carefully, just in case. I believe there are a number of very good non-grammar schools over the border in Berks, but you must read the Admissions Policies, rules on address evidence and past allocation profiles for them all.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

No-one knows how many pupils qualified and which schools they will opt for.

However, look at the historic trend - JHGS is on the 'right' side of High Wycombe for travelling from Berkshire so I would think you stands more chance there.

Put the schools in the order you want them but do think about the journey - I hate having to be anywhere near HW at school times ... and just one minor problem can gridlock the place. Handy Cross roundabout is a frequent 'star' of the traffic reports.

{Posted at same time as above}
BlueBerry

Post by BlueBerry »

As ever, thanks Guest55 for your taking time to reply to all of my queries.

I will be including non grammar on my CAF obviously, but should DS pass the 11+ tests then I'll focus heavily on the grammar options, including Langley & Reading into the mix.

Onto a different note, why is it there is a perception that the Bucks exams are easier than the Reading one?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Bucks Transfer Test selects the top third - quite a large proportion. What proportion does the Reading test select?
BlueBerry

Post by BlueBerry »

No idea :?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Most 11+ tests select a smaller proprotion so I think that's why the Bucks 'version' is perceived as 'easier'.
BlueBerry

Post by BlueBerry »

Slough consortium also select the top 30%

Can't find this info for Reading.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Is Slough opt-out though?
BlueBerry

Post by BlueBerry »