Go to navigation
It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:11 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:34 am 

Just a couple of weeks left of school before the summer holidays and I know this has probably been asked many times before, perhaps not necessarily in this section of the forum. I thought I would ask anyway because although I have seen replies to similar queries, I think most of them were from other areas (non-Bucks). My DS has mostly been doing CGP and Bond books, usual 10-11 years practice books and also the 10-minute ones. With CGP, he has also been doing the English and Maths Workout books, Years 5 and 6. I think the foundation has been laid and it is time for him to do some practice tests. I was just wondering what others have found to work for them, in terms of work over the summer particularly with practice tests. I have purchased some CGP, Bond and Mocks in a Box practice tests for the summer. What would be a reasonable and sensible frequency of making one's DC do these? 2 x 45 minute tests once or twice a week? We would of course also be doing vocab regularly. I don't want to stress my DS out but I also don't want him to completely lose momentum. When did your DCs stop preparing - a week before sitting the test? Weekend before? I have personally entered the "I am getting nervous" stage and sometimes feel like it would be lovely to have support groups for this type of experience! Some parents from school I find are quite secretive about their DCs preparation - they are not willing to talk about whether they receive tuition or whether they are preparing at all! Like it's a secret...I have only seriously chatted to a couple who were as open about it as I was.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:09 am 

I think you have got it spot on - a good balance. Maybe think about having a complete break for an entire week as well.
Some parents are getting in a complete panic and signing their children up for all sort of intensive courses and regular mocks; I feel that there is a real danger that these children may become exhausted and over -stressed.

I'd be interested to hear what you think about Mocks in a Box. All the mock papers seem to look very similar and I'm not sure that's a good thing!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:49 am 

Missmarple, I have to guiltily admit that I haven't had a close look at the papers in the Mocks in a Box yet - I bought it (along with the CGP and Bond ones) and have just squirreled them away on a shelf ready for summer. My son likes the stopwatch and little character it came with! I will have a look at the papers tonight now that you mentioned it. We are going to be away for a week, good suggestion about having a week free from preparation - I was going to sneakily bring a couple of the 10-minute practice books originally. My son took a mock recently and he told me that the boy next to him confided that he had already sat half a dozen mocks. Poor boy. My son was already drained from one mock.