Bond - How to do verbal reasoning

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Julie B

Bond - How to do verbal reasoning

Post by Julie B »

Hi

We are home tutoring and have got some work books from your website including (as a complimentary copy - thanks guys!! :D ) the Bond - "How to do verbal reasoning" book.

My question is: does the Bucks 11+ use ALL the question types in the Bond book? If not, could someone please tell me which ones it does use.

Also, as Bucks uses multiple choice, is there any benefit from doing test papers that require the child to write in the answer, or is it best to stick completely to multiple choice?

Thanks for your help.

Julie
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Julie

The Bond how to, book is not relevant to Bucks, in fact all Bond material is of little use to the Bucks 11 plus.

If you need a method and technique book, IPS cover the necessary 21 types, alternatively you could use the free download by the Tutors....

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/pdf/th ... hnique.pdf

Take a look at the following thread for advice on the tests.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... php?t=4782

The technique for Multiple Choice is very different to Standard form, therefore it is best to keep to the correct format.

Patricia

Post by Guest »

Thank you Patricia.

From this website I have ordered IPS, Bright Sparks and NFER, which I believe are all relevant. Bit of a shame the freebie you sent wasn't relevant!

I'm a bit puzzled though. My daughter is in a Bucks prep school which is very supportive of tutoring and in class they use the same Bond book. She sat two v.r. tests this week and says most of the questions were ones they'd learned in Bond.

Not sure what is happening here...!
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Julie

Firstly, I didn't send you the freebie! [sent by the owner of the website, I am merely a tutor/member/moderator who posts in order to help parents DIY]

If the school is using Bond books, they are using the WRONG material. I tutored a child a couple of years ago, where the school [private] used CPG books, again irrelevant.

Publishers that use the 21 are quoted in the second link above.

Patricia
Julie B

Post by Julie B »

Thanks Patricia.

We have had some fun with the Bond book as my daughter has found it straight-forward and enjoyable so the time we have spent on it is not really wasted. Not sure how to approach the school about this matter!

I will follow up your suggestions for relevant technique help. Much appreciated.

Julie
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Julie

I see Bond as books that may/can be used as quizzy type material for younger ages. To be used only [if necesary] before the real work on the 21 begins.

Be brave, tell your school, tell them about this website...

Patricia
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Julie

Yes, Patricia is right (as she always is!) - the Bond books are fun, but really not relevant to Bucks. However, I do like the fact that they are produced for age levels, and Bond is the only publisher to produce age appropriate materials. They have a definite worth for all areas as introductory material, before you get in to "proper 11+ prep".

As for the Prep School, I couldn't agree more with Patricia! :D

It may be that the school is not willing to admit their mistake in using Bond, but you can certainly pass the word around to the parents.

This Forum is staffed by volunteers and any profits from the website are donated to charity. Please recommend us to your friends!

Sally-Anne
Julie B

Post by Julie B »

Yes, very helpful website, thank you.

Perhaps my daughter's school are using Bond to build up confidence and will use more relevant materials in the next two terms of year 5. I'm grateful they are doing any 11+ prep as many children don't get that opportunity at school. Glad I can use this website as a resource to help me tutor my daughter at home. Thankfully she's really enjoying it!

Julie
Julie B

Post by Julie B »

Having compared The Tutors Technique document with Bond How To there is considerable overlap. In fact 17/21 question types do appear in Bond so it has been productive after all, albeit at a starter level.

After Christmas we will continue with IPS and onto Bright Sparks.

Happy Christmas to you all! :lol:
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

Julie B

IPS produce a set of Starter papers aimed at younger age groups. Which we found useful for NFER type papers in Berkshire. Just ordered my second copy for child number two, hear we go again. :D :D

stevew61
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now