Grammar Schools near Marlow

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
southbucks3

Re: Grammar Schools near Marlow

Post by southbucks3 »

BlueBerry wrote:Hi there

We are not vegetarians. We are meat eaters but do not eat pork for religious reasons.

And from what I gather from my son & his school the boys seem to be very good friends but his mum has other ideas. Like I said previously, that was just one incidence. There are many more but I don't wish to discuss further details for fear of outing myself! Suffice it to say that my son feels unwelcome & unwanted.

I'm sorry that your boys are discriminated against. It's very difficult as a parent to watch your child being hurt or suffering and being unable to help them out.

To be totally honest it doesn'tt really bother us beyond being a bit irked, our eldest son eats meat when he wants to and even he teases us about being different. I realised of course you were referring to religion, nor vegetarianism, which is why is said lifestyle choice.
If your son encounters many incidents of racial discrimination as well as religious discrimination then obviously you must put his mental well-being first, either by providing emotional bolsters or by moving , but moving to another predominantly white, middle class, atheist or Church of England town probably isn't the answer. Like others have said for more diversity and maybe a broader acceptance of your beliefs look towards Wycombe, Chesham or Slough. The little boy who s great friends with your son is a good indication that children see character, not colour or creed, let's hope this continues into their adult life.
BlueBerry

Post by BlueBerry »

Thanks for your reply Southbucks. I will look into the areas that you've mentioned. I know for one that I will not move to Slough though!

It's interesting what you all say about Marlow. My brother has a completely different take on this town :?
mad?

Post by mad? »

Here Blueberry is the data

http://www.postcodearea.co.uk/postaltow ... ographics/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Marlow, over 96% white.
mad?
BlueBerry

Post by BlueBerry »

mad? wrote:Here Blueberry is the data

http://www.postcodearea.co.uk/postaltow ... ographics/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Marlow, over 96% white.
Mad, thank you so much! This information is exactly what I am looking for. OK, Marlow is definitely off the list :lol:
Amber

Post by Amber »

Birthday party porkfest? Really? Doesn't sound like racism or bigotry to me but some kind of misunderstanding. I can't stand pork myself but can't see it being a deal breaker for a party - surely there are so many vegetarians and people with food intolerances and allergies around that this kind of nonsense is likely to be a silly and transient thing? Is it worth moving house for, really?
BlueBerry

Post by BlueBerry »

Amber wrote:Birthday party porkfest? Really? Doesn't sound like racism or bigotry to me but some kind of misunderstanding. I can't stand pork myself but can't see it being a deal breaker for a party - surely there are so many vegetarians and people with food intolerances and allergies around that this kind of nonsense is likely to be a silly and transient thing? Is it worth moving house for, really?
No misunderstanding at all.

Yes it is worth moving house when my son is being discriminated against and starts to feel that he is 'not as good as....' But this is not the sole reason fro moving. There are a myriad of reasons for moving and this is just one of them.
kittymum

Post by kittymum »

BlueBerry wrote:
mad? wrote:Here Blueberry is the data

Marlow, over 96% white.
Mad, thank you so much! This information is exactly what I am looking for. OK, Marlow is definitely off the list :lol:
We did say :? As I said at the beginning the only real downside to Borlase is that it's not ethnically diverse - I have 2 children there and looking st the whole school photo it is very white - it pulls from a very small catchment area and is representative of that area.

As has been mentioned RGS is a more diverse school population - why not look at the villages out that way - Bucks cc will have catchment maps on its website. You also need to look at what primary places are available - Bucks cc will tell you that - be prepared for it not to be a great choice,

If your son is experiencing discrimination at school I would strongly advise you to discuss it with the school. Re the birthday party - it may be a genuine mix up - in any situation like this I always believe the best approach is to "kill with kindness" - invite the birthday boy over for tea - invite his mum over for a cup of tea and some cake too. IF she does have prejudices remember most stem from ignorance - maybe getting to know her will make it all blow over? I also have had to remind myself over the years that not every child can be invited to every party. There have been occasions when my children haven't been invited to things and it's very easy to jump to the wrong conclusion as to the reasons why. Understandable discrimination is yo the forefront of your mind but it could well be something totally different.

As others have suggested do visit the schools before you make decisions as to where to move to - this will enable you to see for yourself the schools racial mix.

Good luck with your move.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now