Go to navigation
It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:53 am

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:37 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:56 pm
Posts: 9
Thinking of moving 3 miles down the road to Winchmore Hill and our catchment changes from RGS to DCGS (if DS passes the 11+!). We were planning on putting John Hampden as our first choice on the CAF form (we are not catchment but should get in on distance). If we were offered our first choice could we accept it and go on a waiting list for DCGS if the house sale went through? Don't think we would get DCGS with our present address as they did not offer out of catchment last year.

Any advice please? :D


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:45 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:21 pm
Posts: 11931
What year is your DS in?

You need to move into DCGS catchment by April of Year 5 - what is about that school that appeals?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:46 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:41 am
Posts: 4581
Location: Essex
JAWAT wrote:
Thinking of moving 3 miles down the road to Winchmore Hill and our catchment changes from RGS to DCGS (if DS passes the 11+!). We were planning on putting John Hampden as our first choice on the CAF form (we are not catchment but should get in on distance). If we were offered our first choice could we accept it and go on a waiting list for DCGS if the house sale went through? Don't think we would get DCGS with our present address as they did not offer out of catchment last year.

Any advice please? :D


I don't know the specifics of the system in Bucks, but as a general rule, you would be better off putting DCGS first on your CAF. That way, you would automatically have the right to go on the waiting list as it would be a higher preference than the school you were offered. Getting your first choice (as far as the LEA is concerned), then going on the waiting list for a lower preference, is often a less straightforward process.

_________________
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:25 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:56 pm
Posts: 9
DS is in year 6 and sitting 11+ tomorrow! Gulp! We made our minds up ages ago that JHGS was our first choice. Amongst the minor reasons, the bus leaves from the village where we currenly live and DCGS was never an option purely because we would never get in where we are living now!
But if the move goes through, logistically at least DCGS would be be the best option as the bus goes from the village in Winchmore Hill. However, don't think a bus goes from Winchmore hill to JHGS?
Just to complicate it more DD goes to BHS and again there's no bus from Winchmore hill to BHS (unless someone can tell me otherwise), so I could end up having to do two different school runs.
I appreciate what you say Toadmum about putting DCGS as 1st choice then we would automatically be put on a waiting list if we don't get it, but at the same time if the sale fell through for some reason and we stayed put, although it's unlikely we could get DCGS and not be on the bus route!
I realise that how my two children are going to travel the short distance to their relative schools is not the main priority when choosing their education, but it will play a role if I end up driving them both everyday because there is no school bus!
Obviously it's all hypothetical at the moment as the house move is not finalised and DS has to qualify in tomorrow's test!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:40 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:21 pm
Posts: 11931
You need to put the school in the order you want them. Your new address won't count for DCGS anyway in the first round and places rarely come up after that.

Presumably you've checked school transport here:

http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/education/sch ... transport/

I would not think it is sensible to plan to tranport both your children ...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:18 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:41 am
Posts: 4581
Location: Essex
If Bucks lets you make your mind up once you are offered a waiting list place (if you are), then if your sale has fallen through, you can just turn it down. Or let them know in advance that you no longer need the DCGS place. It is more complicated if Bucks automatically withdraws the school already offered when a waiting list place becomes available.

_________________
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:43 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:10 pm
Posts: 8199
Location: Buckinghamshire
Given these facts:

- Winchmore Hill is pretty well the back end of nowhere, and transport will always be an issue.
- Your DD is at BHS, and presumably has transport in place
- Your DS would probably not get a place at DCGS even in the second round
- Your DS will almost certainly get a place at JHGS, or RGS as second preference

Why would you think of moving? :?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:46 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:28 pm
Posts: 38
We're in the catchment for AGS (boys) and SHFS (mixed).

Does it make sense at all for someone in our position to opt for a school outside our catchment area, like Royal Latin?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:32 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu May 12, 2016 2:20 pm
Posts: 76
Slightly different situation but it can certainly happen. We, too, are in catchment for both AGS and SHFGS. However, when we were doing our open evening/morning rounds, my DS fell in love with a school that we aren't in catchment for but is only 0.23m further away from us than AGS and which is very convenient for him to get to by car/train/bus. His dilemma is which school to put as his first choice should he pass - risk placing his real first choice as first even though we're not in catchment for it or would this jeopardise a place at a GS we are in catchment for.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:37 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:59 pm
Posts: 2808
tropicmama wrote:
Slightly different situation but it can certainly happen. We, too, are in catchment for both AGS and SHFGS. However, when we were doing our open evening/morning rounds, my DS fell in love with a school that we aren't in catchment for but is only 0.23m further away from us than AGS and which is very convenient for him to get to by car/train/bus. His dilemma is which school to put as his first choice should he pass - risk placing his real first choice as first even though we're not in catchment for it or would this jeopardise a place at a GS we are in catchment for.



ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS list schools on the CAF in YOUR TRUE ORDER OF PREFERENCE!!!! Sorry to shout but I cannot tell you how many times we have to send this message out!!!!

If you do not get your first choice becasue you do not meet the criteria (be it academic score or distance) your second choice becomes your effective first choice - and if you meet the criteria for that you will be offered it (but will still be put on the waiting list for your true first choice.) Just make sure you have one school on your CAF that you know you will be offerd (eg your local upper school).


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
CALL 020 8204 5060
   
Privacy Policy | Refund Policy | Disclaimer | Copyright © 2004 – 2016