Catchment area and CAF in Bucks

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
ToadMum

Re: Catchment area and CAF in Bucks

Post by ToadMum »

Sally-Anne wrote:May I remind everyone that this thread is about the specifics of admission to Bucks schools this year, and not a discussion about the rights and wrongs of the school system overall?
Before it does get firmly pushed back where it started, may I please point out that KEGS in Chelmsford (along with its counterpart for girls, CCHS) has employed an admissions policy of first 80% of places in score order to applicants living within a 12.5 mile radius / 20% in score order regardless of place of residence for several years now. Despite the vociferous prognostications of a bunch of Metropolitan Essex residents that the schools would go to Hades in a handcart without unlimited numbers of their superior offspring (see historic posts in the Essex section :lol:), this appears not to be the case. Obviously not, in fact, if some people think that KEGS is still a superselective.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
TomPoes

Post by TomPoes »

Of course, you’re right – KEGS is not a super-selective, but still far more selective than our GSs in Bucks. I’m just an ordinary local parent and new to all this – not fully appreciating all the subtle distinctions. So, apologies for bringing the entire topic up in the first place on this tread – and apparently striking a sensitive cord or two. Discussions about this sort of subjects don’t really bring the best out of us all? As said, I’m just an ordinary Bucks parent seeking to make things work for our own DCs, and at the same time also sincerely wishing all the best to all other parents.

Perhaps best is to leave at this. All the best!
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

quote "...I’m just an ordinary local parent and new to all this – not fully appreciating all the subtle distinctions..."

Oh...don't do yourself a disservice, TomPoes...I think you seem fairly well informed... you have got a good handle on the differences between two counties at least.
TomPoes

Post by TomPoes »

Thanks kenyancowgirl for the encouragement -- you're not doing too badly yourself!! :wink:

(btw -- wasn't aware that posters on the other side of the land are following our local chit-chat -- they're keen!!)

I need to shoot -- off for the big splash!
kittymum

Post by kittymum »

TomPoes wrote: Why not in Bucks -- wouldn't it be nice to have at least one of our GSs feature in the league tables? Not because league tables are everything -- they certainly aren't -- but Bucks GS ranking positions haven't exactly been what they used to be lately.

One highly attaining GS in Bucks wouldn't bring about an entire wave of migration -- congesting all our roads -- or would it?
Why would it be nice? I genuinely don't get that! My 2 children are at SWBGS - if they hadn't gone there they would be at GMS - how would having a super selective improve their (or my) life in anyway?? What a strange comment!!
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

kittymum wrote:
TomPoes wrote: Why not in Bucks -- wouldn't it be nice to have at least one of our GSs feature in the league tables? Not because league tables are everything -- they certainly aren't -- but Bucks GS ranking positions haven't exactly been what they used to be lately.

One highly attaining GS in Bucks wouldn't bring about an entire wave of migration -- congesting all our roads -- or would it?
Why would it be nice? I genuinely don't get that! My 2 children are at SWBGS - if they hadn't gone there they would be at GMS - how would having a super selective improve their (or my) life in anyway?? What a strange comment!!
My thoughts exactly. I care about my child's level of progress and attainment. I don't care at all about the position of their school in any league table. That's for dinner party vanity if you're into that sort of thing.
TomPoes

Post by TomPoes »

Having browsed around a bit at the other regions on this website - I think we're not too badly off with our transfer system in Bucks - it does promote a fair way of dealing with the transition from primary to secondary school, for 'ordinary' resident families - I think.

All the best to you all - and thanks for the replies.
Pinner

Post by Pinner »

Is Chesham grammar using catchment to choose? What about Royal Grammar?
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

All Bucks grammars use catchment. If your DC has sat the exam I would have thought you would know that from the Bucks County Council information.
scary mum
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

All Bucks GS use catchments ... all the admission policies are on the Bucks website:

http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/media/2504383 ... t_2015.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/media/2504383 ... t_2015.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

{cossed post but left because of links}
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now