Catchment area and CAF in Bucks

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mad?

Re: Catchment area and CAF in Bucks

Post by mad? »

Place the schools in your true order of preference, you jeopardise nothing this way. Please take time to understandthe first preference system.
mad?
tropicmama

Post by tropicmama »

Ah! Thank you, that's us sorted at least :D I must admit I am to blame here - in the madness of test preparation, I haven't had the chance to carefully read the school selection system. I think we are subconsciously leaving it last minute as it is a reminder that my DS seriously does not want to go to the local comp and reading about school selection feels like it will be counting eggs before they hatch, if that makes sense (since DS is only interested in reading about the schools he likes).
TomPoes

Post by TomPoes »

counting the eggs before they hatch ... lovely expression!

Yes, I think it's called the "Equal Preference" system or so. Fill the CAF in your real order of preference, and you should be fine for your situation -- that's what I understood.

For our situation -- the catchment for AGS and SHFGS is big, and we live on the 'wrong' side of the catchment for us to be considered for RL in the north -- looking at the distances of the historical OA-allocations. Allocations for RL have been up to 8 to 9 miles -- we are out a bit further.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

TomPoes wrote:We're in the catchment for AGS (boys) and SHFS (mixed).

Does it make sense at all for someone in our position to opt for a school outside our catchment area, like Royal Latin?
No - if you want mixed then go for SHFGS - it has everything RLS has and more.
TomPoes

Post by TomPoes »

You could be quite right there about SHFGS -- it does has a fresh feel about it -- "being smart and being fun" at the same time.

How about RLS?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

RLS seems to have lost a few staff recently ... new science building but don't let 'flashy' facilities sway your judgement.
TomPoes

Post by TomPoes »

What's the background of that? New HT? Fresh drive to achieve again -- with a new team on board -- or perhaps the opposite direction? Which departments have been most affected?

Buckingham as a town is truly picturesque ...
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

'Picturesque' is one word for it - others mght disagree and say 'too much traffic on roads not designed to take it'.

I don't think it's fair for me to post my opinions on the reasons ...
TomPoes

Post by TomPoes »

Just came back from SpecSailors -- with a pair of rose coloured spectacles -- it does get congested from time to time in Buckingham.

How would you rate AGS?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

SHFGS
RLS
AGS

I prefer mixed schools ...
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now