WHS vs SHF

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Hopeful58

WHS vs SHF

Post by Hopeful58 »

We are right on the border of catchments between these two school. Actually in catchment for Wycombe High but very close to the edge of the Sir Henry Floyd catchment. So both are a similar distance from our house either straight line or by road (give or take a mile or so). Transport-wise the bus for both leaves at approx the same
time and the same distance from our house (a short drive but not really walkable in either case and definitely not in darkness). We are not eligible for free transport to either (as far as I understand) as our nearest school is an upper. Both WHS and SHF potentially have train / public bus as a back up if she stays late etc but these services are not frequent. However I drive into Wycombe every day for my younger child's school and this is likely to continue for at least a couple of years.

Given the WHS is the catchment school and also in the direction that I travel anyway, we have applied for this as our first choice. It also has great academic results - which seem better than SHF when the two are compared. I really liked the school when we looked around it.

But I have a residual worry that it may not be the best school for her. She would prefer co-ed (and her previously headteacher thought she would benefit from coed despite the fact she has been in single sex since year 2). She also is not always an easy child and can really react to pressure (we try not to pressurise her but sometimes she feels it directly from school). This all tends to come out at home rather than at school which is a blessing I guess although it doesn't always feel that way....

I have heard that Wycombe is best for conformists. Obviously I would prefer a happy and confident child if it was possible. I am now wondering whether SHF would give her a significantly better chance of that....

She also loves dance and the performing arts which I know are strong at SHF. She is keen on netball and running and competitive sport in general. Academically she is significantly stronger in English than maths.

I thought that logistics and the fact the more friends would be local at WHS were the deciding factors. Particularly as I know that SHF had a pretty large catchment so her friends may well end up living well the other side of Aylesbury which isn't ideal for her social life. However, in the last set of figures I could find for WHS it said that 18% of WHS students in Year 7 came from out of catchment which rather reduces this advantage.

If SHF is clearly the better school for her perhaps we should think again (or try to given that the deadline for first round preferences had already passed). I have looked around both schools but my daughter had only seen WHS. I may take her to see SHF just to see if she is engaged with it. If not then that removes the issue.

What gives me pause for thought is partly all the references to how happy SHF pupils are. This would really be very valuable if it translated for a child who tended (so far) not to be very happy at school.

Any views / perspectives would be much appreciated!
Sally-Anne

Re: WHS vs SHF

Post by Sally-Anne »

I can't actually see anything in your post that makes WHS the obvious first choice.

Single-sex education isn't working for her now, and the pressure cooker atmosphere that can prevail in girls' schools is only going to intensify at secondary level.

All the Bucks grammars have kids who live miles away from each other, even those that allocate places only within catchment, so SHF really isn't going to be significantly different to WHS or any other school on that front.

Take her to look round SHF.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I would agree with Sally-Anne - SHFGS sounds like the better 'fit' for her.

Which results are you comparing? The sixth form entry grades are much lower for SHFGS and quite a few Upper students join the Sixth Form. SHFGS offers the IB as well as A level so you need to look at both sets of results together.

I would take her round and maybe look at the range of extra-curricular opportunities on the website. There will be a better chance of being in sports teams as she is only competing with half the number of girls!
Hopeful58

Post by Hopeful58 »

Thanks both! When I write it all down it seems blindingly obvious. Pity it took a bit too long for me to process all this info. I think I got stuck on the mantra of going to the catchment school... I will take her to see SHF and take it from there.
MrsChubbs

Post by MrsChubbs »

Bit late in contributing but I would endorse all of these comments about Sir Henry Floyd. Their A level results this year were better than Wycombe High. The atmosphere at the school is very different with the pupils coming across as much more down to earth and dare I say it less affected.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now