Moving into Amersham before 1st October

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Ashberi

Moving into Amersham before 1st October

Post by Ashberi »

HI
My DD has given the Buckinghamshire transfer test last week. We do not live in Buckinghamshire and have been hunting for a suitable property since several weeks now so that we can move to the county by 1st October 2016 which I understand is the cutoff date for moving from r the same 1st round, unfortunately have had no luck so far to find a perfect home.
First we were thinking to wait for the results and move for the 2nd Cut off but DD is quite confident about the test thius am thinking to not risk for the 2nd cut off.

Luckily, we have friends who live in the county who are willing to help us by letting us live in with them for a few weeks until we find a suitable home and be there before re 1st of October.

1) I am living in a rented property, I would give notice to move out but as per usual it would have to be a 2 month notice, can I give the notice and move to friends property and put my daughter and son ( who is a year younger) into a primary school in Buckinghamshire, would that be sufficient to do so?

2)I would still have the existing property but would have given notice to move, does that work?
3)Do I additionally need to move my bank accounts and register with a GP there? If anything extra needs to be done please advise me
4)I can provide all documents to the council and get DD & DS ( who is a year younger) in primary school in Bucks as well.

Has anyon been in a similar situation and what was the outcome, please advise.
Guest55

Re: Moving into Amersham before 1st October

Post by Guest55 »

How can you provide the utility bills to show you are living in Bucks by 1st October?

I suspect your current address would be the one used for allocations on March 1st.
Ashberi

Post by Ashberi »

I understand that you can be living with friends and family temporarily thus you do not need to provide a utility bill in your name but rather in friends/ family name and a cover letter from them.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Ashberi wrote:I understand that you can be living with friends and family temporarily thus you do not need to provide a utility bill in your name but rather in friends/ family name and a cover letter from them.
I think not ...

You need to read the criteria for proof of a child's normal home address very carefully - pp. 23 - 25 of this document: http://beta.buckscc.gov.uk/media/1040/m ... tion-1.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Could you ask your current landlord to find a reason to evict you? That would get round the previous lease not having expired by October 1st problem.

Are you planning to home educate your DC until they are allocated places in Bucks primary schools, or will they continue at their current school? I don't know the situation is with primary places in Bucks, but in some areas it is not easy to find vacancies for more than one child at the same school out of the normal admissions round.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

I don't think this is relevant to OP's situation but I thought it might be helpful for other people in a similar situation who might find this thread. Moderators, please feel free to remove if inappropriate.

We owned a property in one location and were moving to a different area where we were purchasing a house. When we applied for the primary school in the new area (I think the rules are the same) we hadn't completed on the purchase and couldn't complete before the deadline; we also had not sold our existing home. We submitted evidence to the authorities that a house purchase was going through and that our "home" was on the market and this was accepted and all was well. I believe they looked at the situation and used their common sense that we weren't trying to cheat the system, though ours was a move up the property ladder so that may have helped.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Admission authorities are usually very good at applying common sense, and evidence of a house move in progress (which is a fairly substantial financial commitment from the outset) would often be considered to be proof of intent.

"Staying with friends" is one of the most tenuous situations they might be presented with, and the bar will undoubtedly be higher in terms of the evidence required.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

I also suspect they would be keeping a very close eye on anyone 'staying with friends' for changes of address later. So even if your intentions are sound, if it all goes pear shaped for some reason, you could be in trouble.

Reading council cracked down on a family who moved into catchment, applied for a popular primary school, then promptly moved back out again. They were told that if they didn't move back in, the application would be investigated as a possible fradulent application and the place withdrawn. This was some years ago. I suspect schools have got even more vigilant and have even more ways to check since.
kittymum

Post by kittymum »

I can understand in tge heightened emotions surrounding the test that it might seem like a good idea to suddenly move but I would be inclined to stick with your original plan. Moving is disruptive for adults and even more so for children! Year 6 is also a special year at school for children- the time to celebrate their time together.

I'm really pleased your dd feels the test went well but nothing is certain! I've known children who felt it went amazingly get v low scores and ones who felt it was a disaster triumph!

Have you researched areas, visited primary schools, found out about available spaces? These things need to be done calmly and carefully before snap decisions are made. When looking at houses consider primary and secondary catchments (upper and grammar). How would your children feel about the move? How would you get to work?

In reality these are not things that can be done in two weeks! I would strongly advise you stick to plan A! If you did move and your dd didn't qualify what would you do?
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Please don't make life changing decisions based on how a ten year old girl thinks she has done in a CEM test that is designed to trick and mislead her.

How much experience had she had with CEM before going into the exam?

It is easy in Multiple choice to keep choosing answers and feeling you are doing really well as answers keep piling up in front of you.

Have you applied for the 11 plus anywhere else? DG
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now