Bus service from Burnham to BHS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

scary mum

Re: Bus service from Burnham to BHS

Post by scary mum »

It depends on that particular bus - it may not stop anywhere else. We are very local but the bus bumbles around all over the place & has to negotiate busy roads.
scary mum
Booklady

Post by Booklady »

Guest55 wrote:How long does the bus take?

Try the journey at 08:00 or 15:15 - it will take at least double the time.
No - I reiterate - the journey from Burnham to BHS takes around 15-20 mins by car direct whenever you go, and about 25mins on the school bus from Lent Rise because it stops a few times. Its really not a bad journey - at anytime - unless there's been an accident on a back road (which no-one can predict).

More of a consideration is the type of school you want - BHS and BGS are both good schools - but are very different from each other - so you and your daughter need to see both and see which you like best.

Also consider the cost of course - the bus is not cheap - but is not £9000 as quotes in this thread!! Its about £1400 a year I think - around £7per day.

Good luck in whatever you decide!
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Booklady wrote:
Guest55 wrote:How long does the bus take?

Try the journey at 08:00 or 15:15 - it will take at least double the time.
No - I reiterate - the journey from Burnham to BHS takes around 15-20 mins by car direct whenever you go, and about 25mins on the school bus from Lent Rise because it stops a few times. Its really not a bad journey - at anytime - unless there's been an accident on a back road (which no-one can predict).

More of a consideration is the type of school you want - BHS and BGS are both good schools - but are very different from each other - so you and your daughter need to see both and see which you like best.

Also consider the cost of course - the bus is not cheap - but is not £9000 as quotes in this thread!! Its about £1400 a year I think - around £7per day.

Good luck in whatever you decide!
£1400 a year for 7 years, though?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I think that's what G55 meant :)
scary mum
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Booklady wrote:
So I am right from your own words - the bus does take double the time. I have driven around there myself and seen the queues on the A355 and into Beaconsfield.

Yes it will be £9000 over 7 years ... probably more as fares never seem to go down.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

...sorry, I'm still a bit :shock: :shock: :shock: at £1400 a year on the bus.....we would struggle to find that (although are faced with £700 from next year when oldest son moves into 6th Form). There is a lot to be said for local school, if that is the bus fare.
Booklady

Post by Booklady »

Guest55 wrote:
Booklady wrote:
So I am right from your own words - the bus does take double the time. I have driven around there myself and seen the queues on the A355 and into Beaconsfield.

Yes it will be £9000 over 7 years ... probably more as fares never seem to go down.
How is 25 mins on the bus double the 15-20 mins a car takes? Its 5 -10 minutes longer - which you'd expect from any bus journey vs a car. And locals wouldn't use the A355 from Burnham to BGS - you go cross country past Odds Farm and straight up to BHS without going through the town- much quicker and very rarely any traffic.

Anyhow I'm not here to argue about this - fact is its an OK journey, but yes its a journey on a bus rather than walking to BGS. Depends which school the OP prefers - both have their strengths and weaknesses. And yes, the bus is fairly pricey, but again that's part of the decision making process. We preferred BHS because it offered much better drama (at the time we chose), and also liked the single-sex aspect (or DD did actually). But BGS, when we visited, had an amazing science teacher whom we loved!!

In terms of local friends - a lot of BGS kids come from far flung parts of West London - so you are not guaranteed that wherever you choose. There are quite a few kids for BHS usually from Burnham / Taplow each year - loads in Y7 this year according to my sixth form DD who catches the bus with them.

Good luck OP in your decision - weigh everything up and then choose! :D :D
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Isn't the cross country route plagued by tractors? Every time I've tried it is has been ...

Even 10 minutes on a 15 minute journey is 66% extra ...

Double that each day and that is quite a chunk of time.

Doesn't the changes of Head over the past ten years at BHS worry you?
Booklady

Post by Booklady »

Guest55 wrote:Isn't the cross country route plagued by tractors? Every time I've tried it is has been ...
Don't think I've ever met a tractor on the cross country route in the almost 6 years we've been bobbing up and down it!! :lol: :lol: :lol: Guess we've been lucky! Only one significant hold up when some idiot had managed to turn their car over on a bend a few years ago. :shock: :shock:
Cando_dad

Post by Cando_dad »

Thanks All for your contributions. Pleased to inform that our DD has passed the Bucks exam. Off to BGS open morning today. One last hard decision to take for us and then the 11+ saga will be over.

Congrats to all who have made it and best of luck to people going through appeals.

Best regards
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now