Transportation to Dr Challoners (Girls) and Chesham

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

ToadMum

Re: Transportation to Dr Challoners (Girls) and Chesham

Post by ToadMum »

anotherdad wrote:When it does snow, there won't be a train to get on to the school that will be closed anyway.
Our local train service is rarely badly affected by snow (although it hasn't been relevant for the past couple of years, so it will be interesting to see how c2c copes this year if it snows, not having had to for a while). It did occur to me to wonder whether this may be why so many OOC parents opting for our nearest grammar schools use private coach companies, which may well not send their vehicles out in the snow :lol: . The grammar schools rarely, if ever, close, but one local friend told me that her DD's class of 31 would go down to about half a dozen every time snow fell.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Near in mind as well that the further from the school you are, the less likely it is that you will know the school is closed before your DC sets off for school. (And you may need to go and 'rescue' them!)
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Sally-Anne wrote:
anotherdad wrote:you'll be despairing when he comes home from school in driving sleet without his coat on
Ah, yes. I nearly posted about the coats: not worn beyond approximately week 3 of Year 7. :roll:
At which point they lose them somewhere, I assume?!
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

kenyancowgirl wrote:
Sally-Anne wrote:
anotherdad wrote:you'll be despairing when he comes home from school in driving sleet without his coat on
Ah, yes. I nearly posted about the coats: not worn beyond approximately week 3 of Year 7. :roll:
At which point they lose them somewhere, I assume?!
It's normally because it's not the done thing to be seen wearing a coat or because there's nowhere to store a damp coat at school and they don't want to carry it around with them. AHS doesn't allow coats to be worn between lessons so a wet coat gets left in the locker all day.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

'Done thing' to wear one or not, DS1 used to wear his coat - as, presumably, did the person who we assume had it between it going missing at the beginning of November one year and its reappearance in lost property when the weather began to warm up the following March :evil: .

DD is the worst offender in the not wearing or even taking coat to school stakes in our house. Next time her older brother's significant other borrows it and comments on what a nice warm coat it is, it may be hers - then at least I won't have wasted my money :lol: .
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now