Help! Beaconsfield, dr challoners or Wycombe

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Jadelady

Help! Beaconsfield, dr challoners or Wycombe

Post by Jadelady »

Hi

I have absolutely no idea what order to put these schools in. I've visited all 3 and all were good, each offered something different and I just can't decided.

My daughters friends will probably go to Dr challoners so that's where she's leaning but beaconsfield is know for its dance and drama which is where her interests lie, along with gymnastics which are also all good at WHS. Both DCHS and BHS are our catchment schools but we live in Winchmore hill which as far as I can see only has paid transport to DCHS!

I just called the transport team to see if she'd get transport to BHS as there are no safe walking routes and the woman just said I'd have to wait till march to apply and see. It may mean taking her to knotty green which is the nearest pickup point listed!

So if anyone can give me any insight into these schools, if you have a daughter that goes there, if you know anyone that travels from Winchmore hill to one of these schools etc. I'd really appreciate it

Thanks
justkeepmoving

Re: Help! Beaconsfield, dr challoners or Wycombe

Post by justkeepmoving »

Hi Jadelady - my youngest dd is at BHS - She and we are happy with the school. She doesn't do much sport or dance but some of her friends do and are happy with the provision. Always talk of achievements in the newsletters. I know some girls come on the little green 577 bus from Hazlemere which stops at Penn pond and goes right to BHS in time for school and leaves again at 4pm.
Emerald City

Post by Emerald City »

Hi, my daughter is at Wycombe High and we have been very happy there, they do amazing fund-raising and their sports facilities are getting a big share of that funding this time after over a million pounds was raised for music departments last time.

Be careful though with regard to paid transport (and apologies if you know this already) - Wycombe High is our catchment school but we have always had to pay for transport as there is an upper school which is closer to us. Luckily we can avoid Wycombe transport costs because the public bus that goes into High Wycombe then up to Wycombe High goes right by our house so we save about £300 per year.

Good luck!

Em.C.
Jadelady

Post by Jadelady »

Hi

The thing I'm unsure about with regards to transport (and I don't mind paying) is that there isn't a safe walking route. It's 2 miles to the main road in either direction (beaconsfield or Wycombe/challoners). No footpath, pavements or lighting so I thought they would have a list of schools they already provide transport to from Winchmore hill but the woman I spoke to really wasn't helpful other then saying I'd have to wait till march and that it usually means dropping the child to the nearest pickup point which is 2.9 miles away for beaconsfield and wycombe (BHS is 3.9 miles away)
There is a bus pickup in Winchmore hill for challoners according to the paid transport website but then I have heard of a taxi being paid for a couple of kids to go to Amersham school which isn't on the paid transport list.

It's just awkward not knowing what will happen in march. do I choose a school my daughter can't potentially get to because bucks aren't forthcoming about their transport policies or choose the one she can as it's the only one with listed transport.

Sigh
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I'd go for the easiset transport - these schools are not exactly adjacent to each other!

Each has its strong and weak points.
kittymum

Post by kittymum »

All the transport routes are on the Bucks website.

You will only get free transport to your closest school - doesn't matter if not grammar or catchment. If you chose not to send your child to that school the Bucks has no obligation to provide transport).

You can apply for a space on a bus but paid for transport is only allocated after the free transport and only if there is space - you won't know if you have space on any paid for transport till July time. You can apply for a space as soon as you have been offered a place at the school.

They will only pay taxis on for children getting free transport.

tge transport people can give you a likelihood of getting a space but until March no one knows.

So yes your choices are the bus from your village or drive your dd to a pick up point for one of the other schools. Please remember no paid for transport places are guaranteed. It's currently £570 pa per child.

Looking on the Council website there is a pick up from Winchmore Hill to DCHS but no pick up to WHS or BHS. If DCHS is not your closest secondary school you will only be allocated after the free transport.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

All the information is here:

http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/education/sch ... transport/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It won't change much, except the cost, for next year.
Jadelady

Post by Jadelady »

Ok I read the policy wrong. It says " children qualify no matter the distance if no safe walking route" but then there's an asterisk that does say to nearest school.

Well that's one thing answered. Yes I could just accept DCHS but then if I won't know if I get transport till July (and I may not) I will still need to make my own travel arrangements so it still boils down to which school she'll like and fit in at the most.
kittymum

Post by kittymum »

It's prob more likely you'll get it then not - if you speak to school transport they can tell you how close to capacity the route is (but understandably won't be drawn on the likelihood of you getting a place. New paid for transport is allocated on 1st come 1st served so submit form on national offer day)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now