New to forum

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Blue_Marigold

New to forum

Post by Blue_Marigold »

Hi,

I just joined the forum as I came across it recently. I have a DD in year 5 and I thought I ought to start thinking about getting her ready for the big test next year!

Just wanted to say hello...

Blue Marigold
Guest55

Re: New to forum

Post by Guest55 »

Welcome to the forum ... :D

Do look at the stickies as most of your early questions will be answered there.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Welcome Blue...have a look around and familiarise yourself - it's a busy ish time right now as still close the the results just being issued so a good time to read up!

Crossed with Guest!
Blue_Marigold

Post by Blue_Marigold »

Thank you, I'll check them out :)
2littleboys

Post by 2littleboys »

Hi Blue

Welcome! You have certainly come to the right place if you are looking for all things 11+ related.

Are you planning on having your daughter tutored or are you going to DIY?

Do you have any particular schools in mind? Did you go to any of the recent open evenings?

I also have a child in year 5 (and an older one already at GS) so we can hopefully support each other through the next year.

Don't be shy-jump straight in-the water's lovely :lol:
Aethel

Post by Aethel »

Hi Blue! I'm about for next year too, though not 100% sure yet as DD2 who's year 5 is not entirely convinced she wants to take the exam yet. We'll see.

Read around and take all the "my child got 158 and lives in Kuala Lumpar, can we get into John Hamden" threads with a gentle pinch of salt!
Blue_Marigold

Post by Blue_Marigold »

Hi Aethel and 2littleboys!

I am not entirely sure yet what to do which is why I decided to join up. Not feeling brave enough to DIY but want to give her a chance. We might get a tutor but still undecided.

Schools: There are two options here - SHF and AHS and we are in catchment for both so no worries about not getting in if she qualifies.

Just looking for a bit of support really. I have an older DD in an upper school so we have been through it before but it's different now as my younger DD wants to go to a GS.

(Older DD needed to go to the school she is at for various reasons so we didn't even try to prepare her). So, although I have some knowledge of the application process, I am totally clueless on the best way to prepare younger DD.

I should say the wanting to go to a GS is totally her idea. (It would be much more convenient for me to have them in the same school)! But I am trying to be supportive and give her a chance....

Blue Marigold
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Why don't you try to get to an Open event during Year 5? SHFGS website says there are monthly ones:

http://www.sirhenryfloyd.bucks.sch.uk/n ... en-events/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AHS has one tomorrow ...

http://www.ahs.bucks.sch.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2littleboys

Post by 2littleboys »

Hi again Blue

I have friends with children at AHS and The Floyd and all are very happy in their respective schools. If it was my choice out of the two I would go with the Floyd (excellent pastoral care by all accounts) but as Guest55 said why not see if you can have a look around them both and see what you/your daughter thinks?

Good Luck!
Blue_Marigold

Post by Blue_Marigold »

Hi,

Thank you Guest55, we went to the open evenings last month. She liked both schools. I don't want to get her hopes up too much. If I have learnt anything by living in a GS area it is that you can't take anything for granted!

So what are you doing 2Littleboys and Aethel? Have you already got schools in mind for your DCs?

Blue Marigold
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now