Remarks

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Rash

Remarks

Post by Rash »

Has anyone else received their dc's 11+ remarks? Very disappointed to receive just the confirmation of score with no explanation:( waste of £28!
Rash
Aethel

Re: Remarks

Post by Aethel »

Oh no, it must he very frustrating not to have any extra information.
But at least you know the result was not due to a computer error, I suppose.
Good luck with whatever you decide to do next.
bucksdad69

Post by bucksdad69 »

We have applied for a remark and got the same, no break down on scores.
The score is so low its like only 1 paper been marked.
DS was top in class and getting 90% pass mark on the last 20 cem books before the test, all 3 scores on the paper are low, when we know DS never get less than 100% in math and would expect that to be high even if the other were low.
Rash

Post by Rash »

bucksdad69 wrote:We have applied for a remark and got the same, no break down on scores.
DS was top in class and getting 90% pass mark on the last 20 cem books before the test, all 3 scores on the paper are low, when we know DS never get less than 100% in math and would expect that to be high even if the other were low.
Does make you wonder! :0
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

bucksdad69 wrote:The score is so low its like only 1 paper been marked.
I know the outcome must be disappointing for you, but the papers are very diligently remarked by a human being.
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

bucksdad69 wrote:We have applied for a remark and got the same, no break down on scores.
It's entirely up to you to disclose it or not, but what do you mean by "the score is so low"? I ask so I can see the context of your expectations. For some, a score of 110 would be considered low, and there are plenty of examples of very able children scoring 50-80.

Remember that it's a standardised process, so a high scoring candidate up against a birth-month cohort of other high-scoring candidates could produce a surprisingly low standardised score. He may have done extremely well on the test and still not made the cut-off. It's an extreme outcome from standardisation but not impossible.

Did your son report getting in a muddle, perhaps? There are often claims of getting out of sequence when answering and ending up with a load of correct answers offset by one place. It won't help your situation but it might explain a score seemingly at odds with what you were expecting.
bucksdad69

Post by bucksdad69 »

DS score was under 100. DS was given 1/1 by the school and working at GDS 115+
We had the paper remarked and the score is the same, its just very odd that all 3 scores are low and could have scored been on 1 paper.
DS did have training for 12 months also, so knew the format and had the tools for answering the questions which could have came up.

even if the all scores are low I did expect the math to be higher than on 1 paper, in school he been working at year 8 for math.

have asked for a raw score which may shed more light.
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

bucksdad69 wrote:DS score was under 100. DS was given 1/1 by the school and working at GDS 115+
We had the paper remarked and the score is the same, its just very odd that all 3 scores are low and could have scored been on 1 paper.
DS did have training for 12 months also, so knew the format and had the tools for answering the questions which could have came up.

even if the all scores are low I did expect the math to be higher than on 1 paper, in school he been working at year 8 for math.

have asked for a raw score which may shed more light.
I'm not quite sure what you mean by "could have scored been on 1 paper"? Do you mean on one page? I don't know the current format of the answer sheet, is it more than one page? Do you think your son might have not turned over the page or something like that? The fact that all three scores were below your expectations would seem to rule out the "out of sequence" problem often cited on here.

Beyond that, it would just seem that for whatever reason, he just had a bad day. As Sally-Anne has said, the papers are marked thoroughly in the first instance and checked by a human if there is anything the machine finds ambiguous. That check has been repeated by the remarking, so the problem isn't in the marking process. Did he report the test being particularly difficult or time pressured?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now