Initial analysis about the 2016 exam (2017 entry)

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

BlueBerry

Re: Initial analysis about the 2016 exam (2017 entry)

Post by BlueBerry »

scary mum wrote:I do think people put them in so that they can say "my DD/DS passed Bucks, Berks, kent, QE, etc etc" as well. Sorry, but I think it's a prestige thing.
I think that you might be right
Blue_Marigold

Post by Blue_Marigold »

Some people think that a high score means they can get into ANY Bucks grammar school :shock:
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

K76 wrote:I agree Blue Marigold. Then all the Bucks children would have a fair chance and OOC children could come in only if there is spaces.

The downside would be that it would take some of the brighter children away from our upper schools. Some of the local upper schools are already struggling to get good grades. I wonder what would happen to those schools if they lost their best students...

K76 x
I hate to say this, but in a fully selective area, assuming that the selection test actually selects for grammar school the children it is meant to be selecting for grammar school, then by definition, the upper schools (in a lot of other areas they are / were called Secondary Moderns) are there to educate those not quite so academically able (plus, presumably, those whose parents withdraw then from the Transfer Test on ideological grounds, rather than because they have no intention of sending them to a state secondary school). One really wouldn't expect a stellar clutch of A* GCSEs. etc. However, one ought to expect the pupils' abilities to be recognised and nurtured, no differently from those of the pupils in the grammar schools. The 12+ and 13+ opportunities to transfer to grammar school acknowledge that children don't all develop at the same rate.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

scary mum wrote:I do think people put them in so that they can say "my DD/DS passed Bucks, Berks, kent, QE, etc etc" as well. Sorry, but I think it's a prestige thing.
Yep. Dinner party / school gate snobbery. I've encountered many of these types over the years, in person and on this forum, and I'm always hugely impressed by them. They make me feel quite inadequate as a parent.

Then I remember that they're on here panicking on results day and requiring the support of intellectual peasants like me to solve their self-inflicted CAF dilemmas, housing and travel problems. Bless.
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

Blue_Marigold wrote:Some people think that a high score means they can get into ANY Bucks grammar school :shock:
:shock: You mean they can't?! :shock:

(Signs off to urgently ring the estate agent to see if I can get my deposit back...)
Blue_Marigold

Post by Blue_Marigold »

anotherdad wrote:
Blue_Marigold wrote:Some people think that a high score means they can get into ANY Bucks grammar school :shock:
:shock: You mean they can't?! :shock:

(Signs off to urgently ring the estate agent to see if I can get my deposit back...)
:lol:
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

ToadMum wrote: I hate to say this, but in a fully selective area, assuming that the selection test actually selects for grammar school the children it is meant to be selecting for grammar school, then by definition, the upper schools (in a lot of other areas they are / were called Secondary Moderns) are there to educate those not quite so academically able (plus, presumably, those whose parents withdraw then from the Transfer Test on ideological grounds, rather than because they have no intention of sending them to a state secondary school). One really wouldn't expect a stellar clutch of A* GCSEs. etc. However, one ought to expect the pupils' abilities to be recognised and nurtured, no differently from those of the pupils in the grammar schools. The 12+ and 13+ opportunities to transfer to grammar school acknowledge that children don't all develop at the same rate.
Some of the children do get strings of A*s in the Uppers -

The chance is transfer at 12+ and 13+ is fast disappearing as there are so few places now. Looking on the Bucks website I can't see any GS with places in Year 7.

http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/media/2862625 ... y-List.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BlueBerry

Post by BlueBerry »

Ahhh you guys, what are you like :lol:
Otter

Post by Otter »

2littleboys wrote:That would be far too sensible Blue_Marigold :lol:

Seriously though it makes my blood boil when I hear of parents making their child/ren sit (numerous?) tests for schools they have no intention of attending thus edging out local bright BUCKS children.

It is not fair on anyone :evil:
Personally I think it's cruel/unfair on any child to sit more than one exam. I live in SW Herts and I ended any consideration for looking at a Bucks school when it was apparent that in order to open up further options for my DS it could have detrimentally affected his chances of getting a good score in SW Herts and ended up with missing out in my area and the GS near the Bucks/Herts border, so he sat just the SW Herts test a got a very good score. Result is we're happy in the Otter household and I haven't subjected my son to a potentially soul destroying commute for 7 years.
KenR

Post by KenR »

As an outsider who has witnessed the numerous complaints on this forum from Bucks parents over many years it would seem to me that the Bucks 11+ transfer process is at best flawed or at worst completely broken. Have Bucks ever undertaken a radical root and branch strategic review of the process to see how this could be improved?

For example, I would have thought that moving Bucks away from the rigid 121 pass model to something like the Warks priority circle model with 4 circles based on say the major Aylesbury Vale, Chiltern, Wycombe & South Bucks population areas might give Bucks the tools to be more flexible regarding admissions criteria as well as overcoming many issues including "tourism" and "social inclusion"

Am I being too simplistic?