tutors in bucks

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
vp

tutors in bucks

Post by vp »

Dear Mike Edwards and Patricia,

I would like to make contact with you with reference to my son (who will be sitting his 11 plus this year) and my daughter (who will be sitting it next year).
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear VP

Unfortunately I can only help you via this forum. Should you wish to prepare your children yourself, I am very willing to point you in the right direction.

Should you wish to employ a tutor, ensure they know the correct procedure for Bucks. read the section further down titled Free help, if they teach other than what I have stated, MOVE ON There are a number of Bucks tutors who still use Susan Daughtrey books, which are of course now irrelevant to Bucks. There are also some who just babysit while the child completes test after test. You need to ask lots of questions, after all you are paying for their services.

Good Luck

Patricia
vp

What can I do at home

Post by vp »

Hi Patricia,

Thanks for your reply and yes, I would very much like to know what I can do at home for my son sitting the Bucks 11+ this year and for my daughter, sitting it next year. Time scales for when we need to get 'stuff' done by would also be appreciated!

If any spaces become available on your course for 2007, please let me know!
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear VP

Well done for choosing DIY Study page 2 'free help' my two replies to PK.

You need to start now for your son and January 07 for your daughter.

As you have started a little later for your son I would slightly change the order of the tests excluding the AFN [ use sections of these as part of your weekly practice]

1] IPS...pack of 10 30 minute tests

2] Susan Daughtrey..BRIGHT SPARKS...pack of 4 tests.

3] NFER ...pack of 4 tests

Ensure you are buying verbal reasoning/multiple choice.

Try to set time aside for one test a week plus weekly practice, this can be an hour slot or several smaller sessions, whatever is convenient to you and your family setup.

With regard to your daughter,I have made a conscious decision not to take business from this forum.I post only to help those who do not wish to engage a tutor and to stop 'posters' giving out incorrect information for Bucks

Any queries just ask away.

Patricia
vp

vocab help

Post by vp »

Hi Patricia,

Have you got any tips on improving vocab within a short time-frame? Something on-line would be nice. I tried going through the dictionary with my son but it became boring and tedious.
Also, I downloaded the tutors vocab list from this website. However, this list does not have many of the difficult words that the actual papers have in them -like 'indolent' and 'divulge'.

Also, M Edwards has said somewhere that he will be publishing the week by week exercises that he has produced and uses. Any idea where I may find these - ready for my daughter next year?

A verybig thanks for your help. It is stressful, but having someone to help, who understands, is just so comforting.
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear VP

As far as I am concerned vocab is the biggest problem children have with the Bucks VR tests. Have you seen my list of 'Important words' in the free download section. comes with details of how to increase vocab using flashcards.I encourage all my students to use these words in their class work.

Reading out loud to an adult is ALWAYS a good tool.

In the tips section I have posted some games to play to increase knowledge of compound words.

.Always happy to help.....if I can!

Patricia
Mike Edwards

Post by Mike Edwards »

Hello

As always agree with everything Patricia says, however NFER papers do not cover all question types they are good for children just starting because there is less to cover.

With reference to the week-by-week papers written by Janet Peace and myself, they are the downloadable E-Papers with the B-suffix. The first papers were written to complement the NFER practice papers, the second group were written to more closely reflect the content of test papers sat in Wirral, Bucks and any other authority that follows a similar selection process.

We are close to completing the material for the CD-Rom that I mentioned earlier in the year. This will contain all new material in question types, covering all 21 question types with 50 questions per type.

Any material published by The Tutors will be available for purchase on this site. We will also be providing sample material on the free download section of the site and I will make myself available for any free advice as often as possible.

Regards

Mike
patricia

Post by patricia »

Mike

Re Nfer kept till LAST because they 'look' like the real thing, my reply above also refers to my reply under 'free help' which states that, NFER are minus HIKNOS and therefore these types should be practised along side.

I need persuading how it can benefit a child when the real test is going to be pen and paper, understand children enjoy computers, but how can the child 'use' the techniques required for the written test?

Patricia
Last edited by patricia on Sat May 06, 2006 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mel1

SATS

Post by Mel1 »

Hi Patricia

Don't know if you remember me as I have not been around for a while(my son is going to JH in Sept). I have just posted on the SATS heading and would be interetsed in your comments if you get a chance

Mel :)
patience

To patricia - where can I find 'free help'

Post by patience »

Dear Patricia,

Where can i find the 'free help' your reply to PK? I am get my daughter prepared for the 11+ so would appreciate very much on where I shall start.

Thanks so much for reply!