Chesham High

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now

Chesham High

Post by Guest »

Does anyone know whether Chesham High is generally full each year? I have read for the last few years that all people who applied to the school were allocated a place. Does this mean that if all places are not allocated then they will accept applications from people outside the county/catchment area?
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Guest - this post snuck past me when I was really busy doing other things. Chesham High is not always full each year after 11+ results and appeals, but usually fills up by September. It is certainly far more likely that a place will be available there than at either of the Challoners schools.

Sally-Anne
pink

Post by pink »

My daughter is joining the school in Sept. At the recent induction day, last week, the head explained that they were not put in forms as year 7 numbers weren't finalised. I would guess there are unfilled places?

Post by Guest »

Hi Sally-Anne and Pink - Sorry not to have replied sooner but just got back from holiday. Thanks both of you for your comments. We're in catchment but just outside county and in a dilema wondering whether it's worth risking staying where we are or moving to Bucks before my son is due to take the 11+ next year. I'm wondering also if the proposed changes to catchment for Dr Challenors will affect the intake to Chesham High for 2007. I guess I will have to keep a close eye on the developments.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

The changes to admission for DGS have been sent back for review (i.e. dropped in their present form), and so shouldn't affect you next year. Any change would be for admissions from 2008, I suspect.

Chesham High admitted every child who applied this year, regardless of catchment (provided they passed the 11+ of course!). This wasn't an execptionally low birth-rate year, so next year should be fairly similar. The only difference would be if there happened to be a lot more 11+ standard children wanting Chesham High, but it would need to be a fairly big blip.

I know of children from Chorleywood and Berkhamsted who got places at CHS this year.

Just a thought - it might cost you less to pay for private school than it will to move!!

Sally-Anne

Post by Guest »

Sally-Anne thanks very much for your helpful information and it's interesting to know that everyone who passed the 11+ and applied for the school got in regardless of location. My son would actually be sitting the 11+ next year for admission in 2008 so any changes may affect him but i'll keep a close eye on any developments. I know this is all a long way off but I can't help thinking about it all the time and have been looking at all sorts of different options. If we decide on the Grammar school route then to be safe I know we really should move (not that we particularly want to) and if he doesnt pass and we are in Bucks I worry as I don't know anything about the upper schools. What a dilemma!

Thanks again Kerry
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Kerry

The Upper Schools around Chesham High are really not that great, in my opinion. There are always two points of view, of course, but take a look at the league tables as a starting point, and the websites of the various upper schools to see what subjects they offer at A/AS Level.

Some people who are in catchment for Chesham Park and the Amersham School fight to get their child into the Misbourne School for that reason, or choose Ashlyns or St. Clement Danes.

You might find that if you move and your son doesn't get the 11+ you're jumped from the frying pan into the fire!

Research pays off here, and as you have the luxury of time, I strongly suggest that you go to as many of the school open evenings this September as you can - take your son to the one at Chesham High as well, so he can see what he's doing all the coaching/preparation for!

Look at the Bucks CC website for much more information on all of this, and on changes to the admissions procedure.

http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/bcc/content/i ... =657970117

(Note that my posting of web links is notoriously dodgy - if it doesn't work, Google Bucks CC, choose Education/ Schools/ Admissions to get the same page!)

Good luck
Sally-Anne

Post by Guest »

Hi Sally-Anne thanks once again for the valuable information and the link to the Bucks CC website which was certainly useful. I do intend to visit as many schools as I can in September this year and hopefully get a feel for them. Its very different though visting schools you know nothing about rather than schools you know people at and have had some feedback.

At least now I know a whole lot more than I did last week and feel more comfortable with the situation. Maybe I'll try and forget about it until after I've seen the schools and therefore have a more relaxing summer!

Thanks again
Kerry
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now