Grammar School Places

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

I'm guessing it won't go up until tomorrow at the earliest, because that is when the post will arrive.
out of county dad

Post by out of county dad »

Thanks everyone - as usual good info.

We were not too hopeful when we saw the number of qualified 1st preferences for RLS, had AGS down as well - but that's much further away from us.

Last year we were closer than the furthest offered at RLS, but I guess this is variable and obviously the school is getting more and more popular.

Does anyone know if the allocation profile comes out before the transfer appeal deadline?

Cheers
OOCD
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

Allocation profile should be out tomorrow with any luck.

BTW I've sent you a PM.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

There is usually a copy of the allocation profile in the letter from what I remember - probably worth an appeal for RLS as there is room for 30 pupils in every classroom and their PAN is not 180!
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I may be a bit rusty, but my recollection of RLS appeals is that the majority of classrooms do not officially accommodate 30 (by "officially" I mean on the basis of the DCSF schedule of accommodation). This would explain why the PAN is set below 180.

This could of course be challenged at stage 1 of a transfer appeal, if there is objective evidence that the figures are incorrect. By "incorrect" I mean according to the schedule of accommodation, not as a result of one or two extra desks having been squeezed in to individual rooms.

An appeal panel is often presented with the argument that a school has "coped" with extra pupils in the past (the result of successful appeals). The school will usually respond that it was "forced" to take the extra pupils, coped as best it could, and would have done an even better job had its PAN not been exceeded in the first place!

The IAP is likely to take the view that extra pupils are prejudicial, and will then move on - quite properly - to consider whether the strength of any appellant's case outweighs the prejudice to the school.
Etienne
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

That's interesting, Etienne - I also thought there was more to it than how many can fit into a classroom!

I came across this little gem today in the schools' bulletin:

http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/schools/docum ... iteria.pdf

Schools have been asked to complete and return the details in anticipation of transfer appeals, presumably so that BCC can prepare its case.

I have to admit, I am now starting to feel seriously worried about our second child's chances next year and hope that this year's glut of first preferences for RLS is simply a "blip". It was always a possibility that our second child would not get in due to the change in the sibling rules, now I'm wondering if all the hard work on her part is going to be for nothing purely because of a technicality... :cry:
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

There are thirty desks in every room at RLS - all the huts are no longer there - I think it's a 'historic' quirk not relevant now the new buildings are there.
Demon Pixie

Post by Demon Pixie »

The 2008 allocation profile is now available on Bucks CCs site - you should find it here:-

http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/bcc/content/i ... 1210190437

Does anyone with previous experience have a view on how this compares with previous years?

Thanks
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

Huts? :shock: :? :lol:
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

The evidence at an appeal will not be the number of desks in a room, but the schedule of accommodation.

The schedule would have been last updated in 2007.

From the schedule an IAN ("indicated admission number") is derived, and this can be compared with the actual PAN.

Any difference between an IAN and PAN would need a lot of explaining at an appeal! :D
Etienne
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now