OOC & 12+

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
hertsdad

OOC & 12+

Post by hertsdad »

Hello all

Having been unsuccessful on all fronts (Herts & Bucks) am now considering 12+. Couple of questions (over those in the excellent FAQ): Do the same rules apply regarding OOC applicants as did for the 11+, i.e. the school is not allowed to prioritise Bucks applicants over Herts ones, and distance should be the only criteria? This is prompted by the following list from the Bucks 'Late Transfer Procedure' doc:
The application will not be considered until you have supplied the following:-
• Completed LTP application form
• A copy of your child’s Key Stage 2 SATs results (on headed paper from your child’s previous school)
• Evidence of your residency – e.g. copy of a utility bill that has been issued within the last 3 months (please see the Guide for Parents for further information)
• A stamped addressed envelope/postcard, in order for us to confirm receipt of your application
I guess that could be read innocently, or does it mean 'residency of Bucks'?

Also, can we find out how many 12+ applicants were admitted to a particular school in previous years, to give us an idea of the chances of getting in (as you can for Y7 entry)? We're particularly interested in Chesham High, which always has spaces in Y7, so a 12+ applicant has a good chance of getting in, depending on location. If they still have spaces in Y8 then that gives us a clue one way; if they're oversubscribed in Y8 then it tips things the other way.

Of course we're still not sure that we can face another exam (DD is quite relaxed about the prospect, but I'm not sure his parents can take the stress :shock: ), but I just want to get as much info as poss to help with the decision.

Many thanks as always.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi hertsdad

The address verification is purely to establish that you are not cheating the system - it does not matter whether you are in or out of County.

I must point out that you cannot assume that CHS "always" has places for 12+ candidates. They have had places for the last couple of years, as the overall size of the cohort has been lower, but there is no guarantee that the school will be undersubscribed in future. There is a new Head in place and that will make the school more attractive to prospective pupils and parents.

There were probably around 15 places for 12+ entrants in Year 8 this year and I believe they were all taken. I hear that it is quite rare for an OoC candidate to receive a place, as they generally go to Bucks pupils living nearer the school.

The situation on places will be clearer in September/early October. Until then there is little more that you can do, I'm afraid.

Sally-Anne
hertsdad

Post by hertsdad »

Sally Ann

Thanks for the prompt reply, as always very helpful. No, we realise it is far from being guaranteed that there will be places, and we have had enough of uncertainty over the last few months. Moving closer to a 'decent' school (CHS included) is looking more and more like our only option, but it would obviously have to be worth it, i.e. be almost guaranteed a place. For CHS this would also be dependent on the 12+ which may be a risk we don't want to face! Considering a move into NW Herts Upper school system (i.e. Tring) as well.

Aargh! If only he'd got two more answers right, back in October!!! :x