Question to Patrica

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Liz

Post by Liz »

Dear Patricia,
My daughter brought home her familiarisation pack today, she had scored 96% on both paper 1 and 2. She got a good score yet I always the real thing is alot tougher, the vocab on the practice test wasn't that demanding. Do you have any views on this? if so, please let me know.
Thanks,
Liz
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Liz

How come she has completed the tests so quickly, most schools are only starting this week with test A1

There are three practice tests, A, 1 and 2., test A is slightly easier than the 'real thing' tests 1 and 2 are of the same difficulty.

The words can be quite difficult, but you seem to have spent some time with her covering vocab, so they seem to be easier than she thinks. The bracket maths [type K] also let some children down.

Re compound words I am putting together another list of the less obvious ones, so please tell me if you have any good ones!

Patricia

Post by Guest »

Great scores Liz

My daughter has practice paper A today, paper one next week and paper two the week after.
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Dear Patricia,

I noticed that you mentioned this several times :
Patricia wrote: test A is slightly easier than the 'real thing'.....tests 1 and 2 are of the same difficulty.
Just wanted to say that my son's lowest score was with paper 1 (the second) , and his friend was the same. Also it seems to be the case for Mel1's son.
Mel1 wrote: My son ...scored 69 in the first(the easier one) 59 on the second and 69 on the last(both these are like the real thing).
Of course, these cases may just be exceptions.
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Catherine

Tests 1 an 2 are of the same difficulty, BUT they cover the 21 types between them, therefore, it would seem that your son [and Mels] probably 'preferred' the types in test 2, also by test 2 it is their third attempt under test conditions and are therefore becoming more confident.

Patricia
Liz

Post by Liz »

Dear Patricia,
Managed to get my daughter to complete another Walsh VR paper, Paper 8, we have only Paper 7 left, I wanted her to practice the the circle and move on technique if you find yourself stuck.
She completed it happily and she did well, some careless mistakes, which is always irritating, yet a good confidence boost after last weekend.

Has anyone tried these papers yet?

I would really appreciate your thoughts!!
Thanks
Liz
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Liz

Time constraints now say that you should be practising NFER as the same format

Do not forget to practice HIKNOS questions [as identified by IPS] as shop bought NFER do not contain these types

Patricia
Liz

Post by Liz »

No problem, NFER papers are what we were going to do now!
Thanks
Liz

question for Patricia (VR guru)

Post by Guest »

Hi Patricia

As a parent I have started to worry now. My son is born end of October therefore what kind of marks should he be scoring in the familiration pack sent by Bucks and the Bright Sparks Pack ? He usually gets the coding from numbers to word questions in a pickle ? Any Advise ?

Many Thanks Patricia