September 2008 preferences

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Guest55

September 2008 preferences

Post by Guest55 »

Might be of interest to those awaiting March 3rd!

http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/schools/infop ... sp?ID=3091
Dad40

Post by Dad40 »

Interesting - thanks :D

They appear to have missed The Amersham School from the analysis but having said that, we can conclude:

1. Waddesdon achieved 73% more highest preferences (post-qual) than there are places at the school. This is the highest figure among upper schools. Becky Secky and Holmer Green are next with 67% and 66%.

2. At the bottom end, Cressex, Quarrendon and Highcrest have equivalent numbers of -76%, -38%, and -25% and might therefore be viewed as the most under-subscribed.

Comparing the BCC's raw figures for upper schools (not the analysis) with 2007, we can conclude:

1. Becky Secky and The Amersham have seen the largest percentage rise in total preferences expressed for those schools (pre and post qual) possibly suggesting growing popularity.

2. Preferences expressed for Burnham Upper have dropped significantly compared to 2007 (by about a third).
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Burnham Upper is in special measures - that must affect preferences ...
Dad40

Post by Dad40 »

Thanks.

My own thoughts on the few schools I know something about are:

1. Holmer Green/Ramsay/Misbourne: This year Holmer Green is acting as a magnet for some people who might otherwise have chosen Sir William Ramsay and the Misbourne. This is almost certainly because of Holmer Green's very strong GCSE results last summer and the Misbourne Head's continuing ability to turn people off at parents' evenings (allegedly). I suspect the allocation profile for HG will tighten slightly while Ramsay's and Misbourne will loosen slightly.

2. Amersham: The new-ish Head (arrived Sept 2006) has had a positive impact on attracting more preferences. Allocation profile may tighten but it may be the case that The Amersham can still offer places to all Bucks residents who have listed it as their highest preference upper school.

3. Becky Secky: Rumours are that it is generally much better these days (any other insights out there?). Allocation profile must surely tighten.

4. Preferences for Dr Challoners Grammar also appear to be down. Anyone know why?
eager mum

School Preferences

Post by eager mum »

Can someone advise please. What are the chances for a child with a successful appeal who chose RGS as first choice and JHG as second but lives 2.9 miles from RGS and has a sibling there?
Dad40

Post by Dad40 »

Eager mum,

I assume you live within the RGS catchment area? And how did you arrive at the 2.9 miles distance?

If the answer to the first is 'Yes' and if it is indeed 2.9 miles from your house to RGS, then it is extremely likely you will get into RGS based on recent history.

Aside: Do you happen to live on the Amersham side of RGS?
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Eager Mum

Firstly, congratulations again. The fact that your son got through on Appeal is now irrelevant for school allocations - he will be treated exactly the same as every other child who passed, regardless of score. A successful Appeal, a 121 and a 141 are all the same from this point forward.

The Allocation Profiles for RGS were as follows:

2007 - All catchment boys offered, out area siblings and some out area applicants to a distance of 11.487 miles

2006 - All catchment applicants offered, out area siblings and out area applicants to a distance of 7.593 miles

Just for information, the comparable figures for JHG were:

2007 - All catchment boys offered, out area siblings and some out area boys to a distance of 10.905 miles

2006 - All offered

So, although things can change from year to year, I will be very surprised if you aren't offered RGS.

Sally-Anne
spp

Post by spp »

Thanks Guest55, the preferences information was very interesting.

I was wondering if the figures were for in catchment applicants or included out of catchment applicants aswell.

Thanks
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I assume it includes all applicants -
Dad40

Post by Dad40 »

It does include all applicants.

Also, Bucks CC have now updated the analysis document to include The Amersham.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now