Patricia/Etienne - urgent

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Jackie

Patricia/Etienne - urgent

Post by Jackie »

Hello,

Firstly thank you very much for your replies in May. Secondly I appologise for the delay in responding. My original query was on Appeals. I tried to replay on that 2 weeks ago but must have made a mistake in posting as I can not track my qquestion.

Anyway, aparently my freind's daughter got a mark of 117 for 13 plus and not 113 as I quoted originally. Etienne, I have looked the advise given on 'appeals' section - thankyou.

We feel we have a strong case because -
1) a sibling is already offered a place
2) child has a very strong report from current school
3) child was under presure as family had to fly abroad straight after her exam on the same day as family member was not well
4) taking the exam later was not a possibility
5) child was also taking GSCE earlier, and had piano exams
6) sending the child from private to secondary will disadvantage her education
7) child needs to be in same school as sibling due to possible health condition of sibling (though the doctors are reluctant to give this in writing)

Please can you advise on this matter - any help will be much appreciated. Especially any questions that the panel is likely to ask.

Many thanks,
Jackie
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear Jackie

I think the basis of the appeal needs simplifying. I would advise your friend to take out the irrelevant points to focus attention on what really matters - namely, what is the evidence that the child is of well-above average ability, and if she is so bright, why didn't she pass?

1. Your friend is not appealing at the moment for admission to a particular school. It is an appeal against non-qualification. The sibling link is therefore not relevant.
2. This will be crucial evidence, but difficult to comment without knowing exactly what it says. I hope it focuses on very high academic ability rather than character and extra-curricular activities.
3. Your friend should provide evidence of the flight time and of the illness. Was this a very close family member whom your friend's daughter saw very frequently? How is your friend going to demonstrate that the child was so distressed that her reasoning ability was affected? Does she have a history of being very sensitive? Can this be proved?
4. Why? Parents are specifically told that if the child is in no fit state to sit the test, it should be postponed.
5. When exactly? Does she find it difficult to cope with academic pressure?
6. Not relevant.
7. Not relevant.

Some of the questions above would not necessarily be put, but they might possibly be going through the mind of panel members.

Hope this is of some help.
Etienne
jackie

Post by jackie »

Thanks, once again Etienne. Just a quick question. My freind has
1)school report, projects and other work done by child at school, plus exam results from piano exam done same month as 13+. - this will be to show her academic ability

Can you give examples of what is accepted as evidence of academic ability?

2)evidence of trip abroad to visit grandfather who was seriouly ill and the impact this had on her ability to consontrate on the test

Thank you very much for your all your advice, this is very helpful.
Jackie.
Etienne

13+

Post by Etienne »

Dear Jackie

We're trying to keep all the Appeals postings in one place, so I've replied to this under:
Appeals > Bucks Appeals.

Kind regards
Etienne
Jackie

Post by Jackie »

Thankyou very much, Etienne. This is great help, I will print and forward all the information to my friend so she can get ready for next week.

By the way I was not able to reply under the appeals section it was asking for password????

Also sorry for posting under wrong section!!

Thanks once again,
Jackie.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now