Go to navigation
It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:32 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Left Handers for 11+
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:37 pm 

Hello.

I am a GCSE Statistics student at a local grammar school, and I have become fascinated by my recent research for coursework. I surveyed 70 students from 11, and asked them their 11+ result, and whether they are left or right handed.

What intrigues me is that no left handers got less than 121, whereas 9% of those right handers at the grammar got less than 121, therefore on appeal. Does this mean that left handers do not get through on appeal?

My younger sibling, a left hander, did get through on appeal, but is too young to appear in my data.

I need to know of scores for left and right handed children in grammar schools, year 11, and their scores, in order to further the sample and to better draw conclusions.

I am going to post a poll; please respond; so that I can add to my data and give a fairer view.

Please also respond with any information about standard deviation in Buckinghamshire NFER distribution.

Thank you

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:28 am 

Does the population of the school have a greater (and statistically significant) proportion of left handed people than the overall population (20% LH, 80% RH)?

Maybe left handed people have a pre-disposition to the type of tests that are used to select.... NVR?...

And.. don't forget the ambidextrous amongst us.

Have fun with your investigations.

Regards
SVE

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:43 am 

Hi there

I have twins boys - DS1 (right handed) scored 136 and DS2 (left handed) scored 131.

Thanks
Best of luck with your research.
TM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:49 pm 

Hello Albi

DS is LH and got 118. Failed appeal - because of calibre of school work. It does look a mess, but hey, he's a boy and LH.... Always looks like a spider's crawled across it :D
Bit of general term I know, but gotta keep smiling !

Sounds intriguing... good luck.
Nicky
x

Post subject: Mel x
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:07 pm 

Hi there

My son and his best friend(both Left Handers) took the 11+ in 2005 they both scored above 121. Both Boys

Interesting research. Do let us know your findings

Good luck

Mel

Post subject: Left Handed
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:48 pm 

Hey There,

This info may be too late for you but I can tell you that our Daughter is left handed and got 117 x 2 in her 11+ and we were unsuccessful at appeal. This was despite her being exceptionally highly recommended by the Head, ranked a 1:1 and level 5 in all Sats!

Hope this helps..................... :)

AVWM

Post subject: left handers
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:43 pm 

Be careful here albi - left handers are less common in the population so I guess only 20-25% of your sample were left handed, so only 15 or so out of your 70. Therefore your observation that none of them scored less than 121 may be purely down to chance. You may need (dredging up the remains of my Stats training) to test the null hypothesis, perhaps that there is no difference between the scores of left-and right-handers, slightly more carefully. Good luck!