Urgent Question for Patrica

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

chelsea

Urgent Question for Patrica

Post by chelsea »

Dear Patrica,

I've been following some of the topics in this forum and feel a little bit confused about the 11 plus exams. My daughter is due to sit for her 11 plus exams this September through Buckingham Primary. What I am after is what the syllabus is, and what would be the best past papers & practice papers to purchase/download. We're quite concerned that time is running out.

Thanks for your assistance,
chelsea
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Chelsea

Firstly, DO NOT panic!, you have 10 weeks

There will be two NFER Verbal Reasoning [VR] tests, Multiple Choice format.

As time is of the essence, in order, start NOW

1] IPS book of techniques, for your own benefit on HOW to approach each of the 21 types of questions.

2] IPS additional questions.

3] Susan Daughtrey..Bright Sparks series [ NOT her books 1-7]

4]] NFER, these have 6 types missing ie HIKNOS as identified by IPS/types, therefore you MUST practice these alongside.

That's 2 tests per week, more than enough.

Start with the additional questions by IPS, teaching your daughter the first 6 of each type, ie the types that appear in the first test by Susan Daughtrey, let her try the test. then 6 of each type that appear in her next test and so on.

Vocab is the biggest problem, words are seen out of context. Must read out loud to an adult making note of all unknown words. In the free download section I have a list of important words together with notes on a flashcard system, but don't get bogged down, pick and choose from the list, add words from the tests as and when unknown words are found.

Also, it's a good idea to make sure your child is quick at mental recall of the 4 maths operations, quickfire questions in the car
7x8
56+36
87-32
double 17
half of 76
etc etc

If you are not sure how to approach any questions, just ask. I have posted some techniques in the TIP section

Types E D H Q [IPS] Can be answered directly from the answer sheet, saving time

Type Z should ALWAYS be left till last. ALL questions are awarded 1 mark regardless of difficulty or time taken, these Z questions can take up 2 minutes, sometimes longer, as there are only 2 on every test they are worth leaving out, in case time is running out.

Explain to child that all workings out should NOT be completed in a neat fashion, it's very quick rough workings.

Good Luck

Patricia
Footymad

Post by Footymad »

Hi Chelsea,

We're out of your area, but I managed to tutor my daughter in about six weeks gradually building up the practice and speed.

Take it confidently in your stride and if she is doing ok, don't panic you should manage it!

I always think if they are clever enough to pass they will do fine with only a few weeks to practice, not as much time for boredom and pressure to pass :wink:

Just think if you'd practiced for years and failed, it must be much more heartbreaking, than if you only practice for about 8 weeks and fail :roll:

Footymad
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now