12/13+ allocation for Sept 2008

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Ambridge

Post by Ambridge »

Hi Hope, thanks for your kind thoughts....I am getting prepared for a long wait...:roll:

Called BCC and asked if we could pick up THE LETTER on Friday from reception to save further torment. They explained this is not possible because all letters will be sent en-masse first class on Friday and should arrive either Saturday or Monday morning and one letter cannot be singled out because there are so many of them...OK, I took that like a grown up and appreciated their point of view.

They then suggested I email the office with my request and they will email me the contents of the letter. At this point I got very excited and thanked them and took down the appropriate email address, she closed the conversation by saying they would be emailing people who hadn't received notification in the post next Tuesday as they anticipate being very busy on Monday.

I get the feeling that some things are not meant to be.

Might start betting odds as to when we might hear :lol:

Ambridge x
Hope

Post by Hope »

You may be lucky and get the letter on Saturday.

We appealed this year and the letter we were expecting did not arrive, so I called and they sent me a copy, the original never ever arrived. In a subsequent conversation with the appeals dept it seems that none of the letters sent on that day arrived at their destinations!!!! So if you don't receive your letter on Monday I would call and get a copy sent. But hopefully you won't need to do that.

Good luck
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hope wrote:We appealed this year and the letter we were expecting did not arrive, so I called and they sent me a copy, the original never ever arrived. In a subsequent conversation with the appeals dept it seems that none of the letters sent on that day arrived at their destinations!!!!
Unfortunately that is far from unknown. The jury is out on where the problem lies - with Appeals or with the post room at County Hall. I suspect it could be a bit of both.

If any letter you are expecting from Admissions or Appeals does not arrive in a "timely manner", I recommend emailing the department, quoting your child's name and date of birth, asking for a copy of the letter to be emailed to you.

I think it would also help to use an email address that is visibly in your name, e.g. "Jane.Smith", rather than "AlienInvader" or somesuch, and include your phone number for verification if needed.

Sally-Anne
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

"AlienInvader"
Now that's what I call "out of catchment"! :lol:

Good luck to everyone waiting for news - hope you all get what you want! :)
Marylou
Ambridge

GOOD NEWS AND NOT SO GOOD NEWS!

Post by Ambridge »

Well the letter arrived and we have been allocated a grammar school but unfortunately it is our third choice (SHF) and although we like the school very much, since putting it as our third choice we realised through phoning the various bus companies etc that we haven't a chance of getting him there - we would have to drop him at the nearest bus stop (almost 3 miles away) by 7.24 each morning and obviously be around to pick him up every night - so mixed emotions at the moment.

We will obviously appeal for our catchment first choice (RLS) where all his friends went last year and he knows the school well (and the school bus comes into our village and would fetch him home) and where we hope his sister will go next year....so, I would like to pm Guest 55 and Etienne for some advice, if they don't mind, and hear via pm from anyone else who has actually appealed to RLS in the past for over subscription whether successful or not - so the saga continues and watch this space!! And thanks in advance for any helpful pointers you may have.

Regards

Ambridge x
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I have been waiting to post my 2000th to hear how 12+ plus allocations have got on and to congratulate/commiserate with them - it is two years since we 'jumped the hurdle' and I feel every step with you all.

Ambridge - I'm pleased you have got a place somewhere and I'll help you as best I can to work on an appeal. Do PM me - we can discuss logistics without you revealing too much personal stuff.
laid back son worried mum

Post by laid back son worried mum »

Ambridge, Twelve Plus Elf Extraordinaire,

Glad to hear Master Elf has got a place, albeit not your top choice.

Image and Image

for the next step of your journey.

love,

LBSWM
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

Ditto what LBSWM said!

Well done on the 12+ success, unfortunately outcome not what you hoped for but here's hoping the appeal will work out for you. Best of luck!
Marylou
Ambridge

Post by Ambridge »

Thank you both very much - we are happy but will give the appeal a good shot in the hopes of becoming very happy!

Nice feeling to have support here on this site - will keep you informed (read bored :lol: ) on our next step of the journey.

Ambridge aka 12+ Elf x
Hope

Post by Hope »

Hi Ambridge

Just wondering what your situation is now, are you still appealing? if you are when are the appeals conducted?

At least master elf has a grammer school to go to but it sounds like a nightmare to get him there and back !!

Best Wishes :)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now