Struggling

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
njg

Struggling

Post by njg »

I thought it would be easier 3rd time around.....more fool me.
I made the mistake of starting everything too soon i.e last summer and now he is fed up and putting no effort in at all.
Question types and strategies are all in place with some occassional prompting but testing is another matter. He cannot be quiet and constantly needs reassurance that he is going about things the right way. Timing freaks him out so i have stopped talking about times which definately takes the pressure off. He still needs to read the blurb at the beginning of each question very methodically and then sit and think painstakingly about which strategy to apply - once he gets going he's fine but then the next type arrives and we start all over again.
I'm wondering whether to take a break from testing and stick to daily practice in short bursts. Also doing tests together?
Any advice please.
Ambridge

Post by Ambridge »

Boys - bribery.....

What about photocopying a test and asking one of the other siblings to sit next to him so they do the same test together, sibling is allowed to help him say three times (if they can still do it!!) and see if not having parents around lessens the pain.

The current 11+ boy needs sweets/money/footie cards what ever for every question he gets right and extra again if the sibling gets it wrong and he gets it right and the sibling on the quiet gets some big award for being such a good sport and helping you out. Perhaps, if you can afford it :roll: make it a weekly session until in September the current 11+'er is top dog???

Good luck
KB

Post by KB »

Just an idea -
would it help if you gave him a 'mixed bag' of questions - i.e. individual questions of each type and see if he can spot the question type / possible question types/ what he needs to do from the format of the question?
Maybe put them on flash cards & play a game e.g. how many can he spot in one minute?
Normally telling children to read the instructions carefully but guess you need him to be a bit less particular if he's going to get through in the time.
Is he really worried about making mistakes?
Maybe you could let him do it his way but timed so he doesn't get to finish then get him to do another one 'in a rush' & demonstrate its better to finish & get some wrong than not do lots.
With my son there were particular types that slowed him down so he learnt to do the 'quick ones' first which made him feel ahead of time & less stressed before tackling the 'slow' ones. (Obvious other advantage that if he didn't finish he wouldn't have left a set of questions he could have done quickly!)
Hope some of this makes sense :)
Do hope you find the way that works for your son. This time last year I was really stressed & then over the summer holiday it just 'clicked' & we finally made some progress.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

What about trying the on-line 'trial' CDs?

Also we found the 10 a day IPS quite good as they as random types - the motication of only a few minutes practice was also a bonus!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now