scoring

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now

scoring

Post by Guest »

hello,
can anyone tell me what 70 out 80 is equivalent to in the real exams?We are going through the pack from county ,I think it's called test paper 1,am not quite sure what score would be a 'safe' mark.
With the children being back in school,with homework etc, how many practice papers should we be doing weekly?
my child takes his exams in the half term week as we are out of catchment.We have a tutor who has suggested twice weekly attendance from now,apart from the expense,is this feasable?
many thanks
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Guest

70 out of 80 is reasonably respectful and generally should give your child a pass. You should have completed test A first. it's slightly easier than 1 an 2

1 and 2 are of the same difficulty as the real test.

What papers has your child been completing with your tutor, how long have they been attending, what scores have they been achieving?

Patricia

scoring

Post by Guest »

Thank you patricia.The tutor has been using IPS and nfer ,he hasn't been doing so well with her but appears to have done better during the holidays,he's getting in the 70 range.She has yet to start on bright sparks,we also have the tutors which he has completed the first 4 papers.
Do you think twice weekily till half term is too much or about right ?Will value your opinion.
many thanks again.
Mel1

Post by Mel1 »

Hi guest

My son done the County practise papers at school. He scored 69 in the first(the easier one) 59 on the second and 69 on the last(both these are like the real thing). The school sent home the papers afterwards and we looked at where he had fell down and practised those type of questions more.

I also bought the NFER papers and my son done some every night up unitil the real test. I started off by just giving him only about 10 questions at a time but as he got quicker he asked for more so it wasnt a big chore. Then two weeks before the real test I gave him the whole test under proper test conditions, timed etc.

Initially he was scoring 7/10 on so under 80% but by the time we did the whole test he was getting 82-90% out of 100.

I was then quite confident he would pass.

I think the main thing is timing and that gets better with the practise so why not do little but often. I found that as my son got quicker just doing small amounts he started asking for more so we just built up and it didnt seem so daunting.

Hope this helps.

Mel
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Guest

If your child is responding more to you than their tutor, why waste your money, you know which tests to use, then DIY

Take note of question types your child may or may not be struggling with and ask for advice on this forum, only too willing to help.

With only a few weeks to go get onto the Bright Sparks now, followed by NFER, remember that shop bought NFER have types HIKNOS missing so ensure you practice these. as identified by IPS.

As you are out of county, when will your son take his tests?

Patricia

Post by Guest »

Hi Mel and Patricia ,
Thanks for the reply.In response Patricia, he will be doing it during the half term.Although he is happy to do test papers for me, am NOT allways able to explain the mistakes!! Hence the tutor. The whole V/R thing baffles me at times!
I will stick to the simpler things of life!!
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Guest

Thats fine, you must go with what is best for you and your child. At least you have a couple of extra weeks, in county tests take place in the 1st and 2nd week of October.

Meanwhile, should you have any questions, please just ask.

Good Luck

Patricia