11+ score

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Willow that is awful - it would make good evidence for an appeal though if you could get proof that the familiarisation was done incorrectly. The Headteacher's admissions booklet is VERY clear - you can access this once the website reappears in the new academic year.
willow

Post by willow »

It is awful, but getting proof of such an error is where the difficulty would lay, as I am sure the teacher would well know it. None of the other children knew she was giving wrong answers except my DD who had already attempted the sample questions while the teacher was explaining to other children. When DD pointed out to teacher she was wrong (she's not good with tact at all and thought she was helping), the teacher told her to be quiet.

Incidently, while I think of it I was in a local book store a couple of weeks ago and bumped into a parent with a child in DD class. I don't know him but his child knows my DD's. He was showing me the books he had bought to prepare his child from a list given to him by headteacher at the 11plus evening presentation (I didn't attend as I was on night shifts that week). But they were all material that to my understanding is irrelevant for Bucks ie.Daughtrey books 1-7. I did inform him but not sure he took any notice.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Did they send the papers home incorrectly marked? They should send papers and answers home - if they aren't doing that it would be helpful to tell Admissions. The HT has to sign a form saying everything has been done correctly ....
willow

Post by willow »

They havent done the familiarisation test papers as of yet, only the familiarisation sessions state schools are permitted to do. The teacher hadn't marked any, just the booklet came home.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

What about last year?
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear All

The familarisation although must be completed in a set order there is no strict time limits. The 5 familaristion sessions can take place in the Summer term or Autummn term. The practice papers MUST be taken in a set order. Test A 1st [slightly easier] followed by Tests 1 and 2 [similar standard] The tests tend to be completed in the Autumn term, although I have heard of some schools completeing Test A in the summser term.

The marking of the tests is another story. Some schools will mark them individually and give feed back on every question. Some schools will mark with no feed back. Others may not look at them at all, just send the whole pack home a few days before the real tests are about to start [ The answers are in the pack] I do not agree with this last scenario, but it happens...

86% is a very rough 'pass' score, I much prefer my children to be scoring 90% plus to take into account ages, standardisation, current cohort etc.

Patricia
willow

Post by willow »

Guest 55, last year all familiarisation and practice papers were carried out before the summer holidays. I recall because my DD didn't do too well on one them. The teacher had taught year 5 for many years so went through the method no problem with the children. This year with my 2nd DD this was the teachers 1st time as she doesn't usually teach year 5's. I was very disappointed to say the least, she made an already unfair system even unfairer, as at DD school most children do not get any other input from home on the exam technique apart from what is allowed by the school.

Patrica, Thankyou for the information. My DD has just about cracked the time limit (this was a massive issue in the beginning). She learnt the technique for each question type very quickly. At this stage I was thinking of focusing on vocab. and mental maths (not her strong point). However, I find if I leave too long between papers she cannot complete paper in the time limit. We still have 4 bright sparks papers and 4 NFER papers to complete. Her average is 65/80 with Bright Sparks (depends how she feels that day, being August born she is a little immature) What sort of weekly regime do you recommend at this stage??
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Willow

The Practice Tests [A,1,2] tend to be completed in the Autumn term, some schools, I believe have tested A in the Summer term. Are you sure all 3 tests were completed in the Summer? Very unusual.

Re teachers teaching the familiarisation, I agree its a bit hit and miss whether your child has an experienced teacher [in VR] or one who is inexperienced. Yes, I do feel for some children who will have nothing other than the official teachings. Some very bright children have missed out because the parents believe the official policy. I pick some of them up at the 12 plus stage...

However this will happen whatever type of exam is taken for selection whether it be VR/NVR/MATHS, tuition at home or by tutors will still take place, there will always be experienced/inexperienced teachers taking the children through the relevant familiarisation.

I tell my students that whatever they are taught at school [method and technique] they are to ignore and just complete as my methods. I also make it quite clear that should a teacher show them a method that they think is 'better' than mine, then do tell me....

From now untill the test, I would complete at least one test a week. Make sure you practice HIKNOS whilst testing NFER [ and cross off the last 5 questions, as they are published with 85 questions] Keep up Vocabulary work. Work on compound words too, they are easy marks, some are difficult to spot, encourage your child to write out the words next to each other. [have you checked out my free download on compounds, you could add your own ]

My children are encouraged to take their vocab box out with them everytime they get in the car, even if its a short journey. The car is a great time for short bursts of vocab and quick fire mental maths.

I expect all my children to get 100% marks on all Maths [IGPK] codes [CLNU] where does the letter come from [OR] finding the hidden 4 letter word [E] and the Zs

I do not accept incorrect answers where they have not proved that they have at least tried to work out the question i.e. they have made notes e.g. written out words next to each other to see if they look like a compound word. They have written the letter next to the 4 part words [A]

Patricia
willow

Post by willow »

Hi Patricia, On the subject of last year's familiarisation, yes I'm sure it was all completed before the summer holidays. I do remember thinking it was a little odd but was quite glad as my DD didn't do too well on either paper so I knew what she needed to work on over the summer hols.

Your vocab and compound word lists are very useful, DD is making flash cards out of them, and quite enjoys this!!!!

The problems seem to come on the practice papers. Bright sparks 5 and 6 she got 65/80. But on going back through the paper with her and asking her to correct them there was only 5 q's she couldn't answer because of vocab,which is very frustrating. The rest were codes/maths and compound words she'd miscounted or guessed. Her teacher told her to guess so I think she's taken it a bit literally and just guesses if the question takes too long or looks too complicated.

I don't know how to get her out of this habit. Out of interest with your children how do you go about "not accepting answers that haven't been worked out". This is exactly what she's doing as I can see from the booklet she has not used the method taught as there is no writing!!!

Your advice is very much appreciated.
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Willow

I reward with stickers. A test maked at 86% or over gets a yellow highlight. A test score of 90% plus gets a sticker [plus the yellow highlight] 100% receives 2 stickers. All this is placed on an A4 paper at the front of their 'Test' section in their folder.

They also receive a sticker for working well in the session. This is placed on the inside cover of their file. They make patterns/pictures/initials

When I review their test, I place an asterix against all answers that I class as silly mistakes which covers all the questions I expect 100% .

In addition any question that has not had appropriate notes made eg writing out words together to find the compound word will also have an asterix placed next to the question number.

I then have a moan and a nag...

The test is then scored twice, once as the true mark then second as the score with all the silly mistakes added. They then can see 'what could have been' Of course they only get their highlights and stickers for the true score. This seems to spurr them on.

You could of course use a bit of bribary, for every test 90% or above £1 [or whatever the going rate is ] in a tin to be spent once all the tests are over. I do not believe in rewards for passing the real test, its a reward for working well [without whinging] leading up to the tests.

I have been known to be really mean, particulary with a child who constantly does not follow my rules and as a consequence makes many errors: for every silly mistake, I leave as homework an extra 5 questions. 8 silly mistakes, 40 extra questions....

Patricia

edit to add: I do not accept children guessing on any question that I expect 100% marks. No excuses. All the information is there for them to get it right...