Help - Question for Patricia - My child is Ill !!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Worried (Sick!)

Help - Question for Patricia - My child is Ill !!

Post by Worried (Sick!) »

Help!! - My daughter awoke this morning feeling unwell, I have kept her from school today, please could someone advise me on what happens if she is unwell and cannot go to school tomorrow? What will happen to her 11+ exam?

Many thanks "Good luck to all the little ones out there for tomorrow!!"
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Worried

If your child is not well enough to take the test, they should not take it, County actively discourage sick children taking tests, they can complete it on another day. Your school will advise in advance of the rescheduled date.

If your child starts the test and becomes ill during the test, they CANNOT re sit that test.

Patricia
Worried (Sick!)

Patricia, what will happen to her 2nd test, will she sit that one on time? If not & it is put back, will her results also be put back?

Many thanks for all your excellent advise!
Jack

Post by Jack »

I am sure Patricia will reply.

You may like to look at your booklet "Admission to Bucks Secondary Schools Guide for Parents" on page 21 under "The Testing Process"

Hope she feels better soon.
Worried (Sick!)

Many thanks ! She may be okay, she is feeling better - Fingers crossed!!:-)
forest

Post by forest »

Worried

I would certainly agree that you should not send her if she is ill. When one of mine missed the first test through illness they sat the first test on the day that all the other children sat their second test.

The school will set up another testing day for those that missed any. However, this often means they sit the test somewhere else - i.e. one of the school offices - so make sure you prepare your child for this.

Further, make sure the school inform you of the time, date and place of testing well in advance so you can explain it all to your child so they know exactly what is going to happen.

Forest
Worried (Sick!)

Many thanks Forest. When your child sat their test late did they still get their results with all the other children or later?

Thank you
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear worried

Yes, normally test 1 is completed when others taking test 2, her test 2 will be taken at a later date, school must give you advance warning.

Results will be given out on the same day 24 Nov.

If your child is at all under par, I would not send her in.

Patricia
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Not much to add to the sound advice above.

Perhaps I could just mention that an appeal panel is unlikely to be sympathetic when parents have knowingly sent a sick child in to do the 11+, and that is the basis of their appeal. ("Little Johnnie seemed a little bit better, and we thought it preferable to sitting the test at a later date ....."!)
Etienne
njg

sickness

Post by njg »

i am the one with the daughter with the broken arm!
county offered to defer the test for her but we decided against it. she is quite anxious and desperately wants to do it tomorrow. we weighed everything up and decided that it would be more distressing for her to delay the test than to be at a slight disadvantage with her arm.
if we have to appeal then we may have an issue as we were offered a delay but we are stuck between a rock and a hard place.
hope weve done the right thing.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now