Changes to the Order of Suitability process 2008

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I have taught in a fully comprehensive area and there is STILL selection. The homes around the better schools are moe expensive and so ....

No system is totally fair - or ever was :(
pippi

Post by pippi »

Dad40 wrote: This seems to be an extraordinarily open admission but seems to fit with Marion Clayton's recent admission in the Bucks Free Press that passing the 11+ is down to "socio-economic factors" more than anything else i.e. if you are well-off, you are more likely to pass.
But oddly enough, it doesn't look to me like she knows the advice has changed:
BFP wrote:“We have strong evidence to schools and to parents that coaching children is not helpful.

“It’s a very sensitive subject and it gets back to parents’ perception that they’re failing. The practice we offer in schools is the optimum amount – that’s what the professional advice we’ve had says.

“Any coaching beyond that is not likely to change the outcome significantly.â€
Dad40

Post by Dad40 »

Sally-Anne wrote:I'm not sure if this solves the mystery, but the commercial side of NFER was sold off/split/wahatever a few years ago. The new business was renamed NFER Nelson, and then renamed GL Assessment.
But it's NFER themselves who issue the advice. A year ago, I even corresponded with someone at NFER about the Bucks advice. NFER-Nelson have nothing to do with the advice - they are a commercial company - even though they were once the commercial arm of NFER.

So I'm still puzzled.
Dad40

Post by Dad40 »

Guest55 wrote:I have taught in a fully comprehensive area and there is STILL selection. The homes around the better schools are moe expensive and so ....

No system is totally fair - or ever was :(
My missive was trying to be neutral. :wink:

But yes, I've lived in a comprehensive area and seen first hand how selection - or rather segregation - works there. I believe the term "postcode lottery" was originally coined as a result of what you describe.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Back to the main plot everyone, and these are the specific changes in the Head's Manual that Bucks have flagged to schools:

B2 General Responsibilities - this includes updated advice on familiarisation and practice.

B13 Headteacher Recommendations the order of suitability has been replaced by a recommendations list.

F3 Headteachers Information for Appeal good practice notes.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now