Go to navigation
It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:08 am

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:20 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:39 pm
Posts: 113
Location: Bucks
Hi everyone

I was hoping for some advice and maybe to hear about your own experiences. I've noted from the sticky that we will have to make a decision soon if we want to register our son for the 12+, and it would be helpful to hear from both those parents who did go down that road, and those that decided against it.

Our son missed out on the 11+ (115), but his school fully supported his appeal (which we lost) and had ranked him 1:1 and, if I remember correctly, 5th in the order of suitablity. Subsequently he got all 5s for his SATs, getting 5a for science, just missing a 5a for maths and a 5c for english. With these scores it appears that he may be allowed to sit the 12+. The thing now is, we're not sure if it would be in his best interest.

He's settled really well in year 7 at his upper school, has joined extracurricular clubs and is auditioning for the school production, and has really begun to become a confident young man. He loves his school and his teachers, and comes home everynight and completes his homework before I get home from work. Even if he does pass the 12+, I know there isn't any guarantees that he'll get a grammar school place, as we're in catchment for John Hampden, and I noted that they didn't appear to have any spaces. My gut instinct is to leave him where he is for now, but then, I'd hate for him to miss out any opportunities he may be able to have.

What would you do?

Thanks for any advice.
Sharon


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:04 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:10 pm
Posts: 8208
Location: Buckinghamshire
Hi Sharon

Gosh, it has all come round very quickly, with the change of date, hasn't it?

At the end of August John Hampden's status was "All Offered", so I suspect they have empty places. I heard a rumour that they may even have an entire class empty!

Academically your son is clearly capable of making a good stab at the 12+ and coping at a GS.

I would discuss the decision with your son. If he doesn't want to take the 12+, and you force him to go through with it, he may well fail it deliberately anyway.

However, he has only been at the US for 3 weeks, it is still very early days and things might look very different in 6 months time.

The best decision might be for him to take it, doing just very light practice beforehand, so without any pressure. If he passes and then gets the offer of a place, you could ask to look round JHG again and make the final decision then.

Best wishes
Sally-Anne


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:22 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:39 pm
Posts: 113
Location: Bucks
Thanks Sally-Anne. I'll have a chat with him, but my guess is that he won't want to. If one of his mates went for it as well, it might be a different story. I may have a discrete chat with his best mate's mum, as she was thinking about her son trying for the 12+.

Best wishes
Sharon


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:39 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:21 pm
Posts: 11956
If the school he is at gets good results and can stretch him it might be Ok.

I know for my child the 12+ was the right route - now in top sets at GS - yes, appeal panels do not always get it right.

You could ring JHGS and see what their Y7 numbers are like - you need to register soon - you can always withdraw your application but NOT the reverse.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:35 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:10 pm
Posts: 8208
Location: Buckinghamshire
Sharon, the biggest difference between a US and a GS is usually the range of A Levels that they offer.

Of course, if your son is bright, he might be able to transder into JHG for Sixth Forum anyway, but maybe you can tempt him consider the 12+ by pointing out the differences in Sixth Form choices?

I would try to keep your options open - fill out the form anyway - it can't do any harm, and gives you more thinking time.

As the deadline has been brought forward, you now only have 6 weeks experience of a new school on which to base a decision.

I would advise anyone who is undecided to submit the form, and then keep the situation under review until closer to the test date.

S-A


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:24 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:27 am
Posts: 645
Location: Buckinghamshire
At JH open evening Head hinted (but did not state categorically) that while they have a 6 form intake the numbers would indicate a 5 form intake (or was it that they take 7 but the numbers support 6 :? ) - either way it would seem that there is scope to take more boys if necessary.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:35 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:39 pm
Posts: 113
Location: Bucks
Thanks Sally-Anne for the good advice (as usual). There's a settling in evening next week for the parents to meet their childrens' form tutors, which may be helpful, especially as we'll need his school's support. We may as well fill in the form, as we can always withdraw if we decide against trying.

Best wishes
Sharon


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
CALL 020 8204 5060
   
Privacy Policy | Refund Policy | Disclaimer | Copyright © 2004 – 2016