Tomorrows Test

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
newgirl

Post by newgirl »

I'm new to this forum but why couldn't we share information regarding what comes up in the test today? At least we'd be able compare our children's possibly vague recollections? I'm sure there must be a good reason - please could you explain?
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

some pupils have still to sit the test and if information about the content was avalable it may give them an unfair advantage.

I'm not sure about the exact Bucks arrangements, but in Kent our out of county applicants sit the test after the in-county chidren have done theirs
newgirl

Post by newgirl »

New to this forum - wish I'd joined before the actual day of the test! However, what do you mean by "Z" questions. I've been home tutoring using the Susan Daughtrey Bright Sparks stuff which just gives "type numbers".

Be it rather late in the day can anybody help me, as I understand that the 2nd paper contains anything that wasn't in the 1st paper.

Thanks you.
newgirl

Post by newgirl »

thank you YoYo! That makes sense.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

z questions are the long winded word problem ones. Susan Daughtrey type 23,29,30,31 (I think! I am going from a list I made a whille ago and don;t have the SD books with me at the moment) Patricia is a tutor for Bucks, she may be of more use
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi newgirl

Welcome to the Forum!

Type Z, roughly: Johnny has 5p, Susie has 20p, Peter has twice as much as Mark. How long does it take them to get to Southampton? :D

They should always be left to the end, because they are only worth 1 mark, but can take 2 or more minutes to solve.

Sally-Anne
newgirl

Post by newgirl »

Oh OK, thanks everyboody - all so helpful I should have joined this months ago, as I've been fretting by myself not realising others were going through the same thing. I'm in Herts so hoping for an out of borough place which is very long shot anyone, but it's still worth a go! It means that at our school gate the 11plus isn't really talked about so this info from all of you people is really good.

So do you think it sensible if I sit down with the Practise Book and gently "probe" dd to try to remember what she did and didn't do today and then just practise anything that didn't come up?
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

newgirl wrote:So do you think it sensible if I sit down with the Practise Book and gently "probe" dd to try to remember what she did and didn't do today and then just practise anything that didn't come up?
Yes - though bear in mind that there will be some "crossover" types which will crop up again in the second paper. Last year I believe these included Type E (hidden words in the sentence - yippee) and Type C (codes - aaarrrggghhh!). Each paper also usually includes two Type Z's (long-winded problem-type ones).
Marylou
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

newgirl wrote:I'm in Herts so hoping for an out of borough place which is very long shot anyone, but it's still worth a go!
It depends on which school you are hoping for. This link is so hot off the press that I haven't announced it elsewhere yet.

It contains not only the Allocation Profiles for the last 3 years as at National Allocations Day, but also the final distances from school gates as at August 29th 2008:

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk:80/11- ... rofile.php

I suspect that if you are in Herts you may be hoping for Chesham High? The new Head is proving popular, so the school will be more popular than in recent years, but thye still do allocate places to kids from as far away as West London ...

S-A
newgirl

Post by newgirl »

Hoping for Challoner's girls as I'm only a couple of miles away from the school but this, I know, is a very popular school. In the Bucks brochure they talk about taking up to 11.3 miles away last year but of course they don't say how many of those were out-of-area siblings so it may only have been 1 first-born or something - have tried to find out from admissions but they won't tell me. Haven't even looked at Chesham High - damn didn't think about that option - presumably they've had their open day? Does anybody know if you can go and look around during a normal school day or should I just ring and ask.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now