2 OCTOBER - TEST 1 - PARENTS FEEDBACK ONLY!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
rose

Post by rose »

John, I can truly sympathise with you!! I feel worse today than I did this time yesterday!! My DD came home from school yesterday saying that the test was 'ok' some bits were harder than others. Then she dropped the bombshell..... For some reason, unknown to herself, she missed the HM starting the test!! She said it was a 'couple of minutes' before she realised everyone had started. By this point she had resigned herself to the fact that she had blown it. DD said she panicked and was feeling very stressed throughout the entire test due to her late start!!! In practice papers she has regularly been getting 73-78 out of 80 with 10 minutes to spare!! So, I can't believe she went into panic mode by missing the first few minutes. When the HM announced there was 1 minute to go, she still had the last set of code questions to do, she said she finished these!!!! It just goes to show that we can do all the hard work and preparation for 'the big day' and something will still crop up that we haven't prepared for.... Of course I haven't expressed my own anxiety and concerns to DD, just told her to put this test behind her and focus on Wednesday, after all nothing will change what happened....
andyb

Post by andyb »

Having a quiet cuddle with DS last night he said what he was really upset about was that his buddy only managed to answer 49 questions :( . Thinking back he had tried to tell me this on the playground but I misheard and thought he meant he finished in 49 minutes - so I'm saying how good it is and all the time DS is thinking about his buddy and the fact that even 49 right answers is not enough - bless his heart, our little people are much more sensitive to the feelings of others than we give them credit for sometimes.
John Cam

Post by John Cam »

Ambridge .. thanks .. I have no clue what kind of books they are .. one says graded test papers 1 but they don't have multople choice answers like the test .. the other is called further practice exercises .. no answers just tests of individual question types .The IPS verbal reasoning are dual format standard snd multiple choice. Then we have some Bond test papers which are multiple choice. Maybe I will stick with any multiple choice papers as he can't remember where he had the most difficulty. You are right though, boys seem to need more coaxing and encouragement from their parents.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi John

I have just sent you a Private Message.

Sally-Anne
Road Runner

Mel x

Post by Road Runner »

Good morning everyone

If you are anything like me you perhaps feel like you are nursing a very bad hangover. I do. It's the strangest thing really especially as I have no reason to feel too stressed. DD finished she thinks she only guessed 4 or 5. Yes she found it hard and the long winded maths surprised her but hey it was always going to be more difficult. I guess its the unknown for all of us. We really do not know. I must be honest I did probe dd more this morning trying to find out just how difficult she found it. She said she did haveto guess some about 4-5ish. She found the numbers hard ie she worked them out but then couldn't find her answer on the answer sheet so had to start again not for all but for one or two.

Anyway I guess the only way I would not be at all worried is if she had come out saying "oh mum that was easy" or had she said it was the same as the hardest practice test but to be honest I then may have worried why she found it easy so bless her whatever she said would have worried me. With all of her tests at home and school she has told it how it was if she said it was hard her score reflected that when she said it was easy they reflected that.

Anyway I am trying to put things in perspective for myself. So here goes.

We have ALL done the very best for our children and they have ALL done their very best for us. They have taken on the tuition, they have listened and learned and practiced and then have gone into that test yesterday trying thier very very best. If it hasn't gone to plan for some of them there isn't anything we can change about that now we can only be strong for our dear children and boost them up again. As my dd told me yesterday "the real test is very different mum because you know it's real" she also said "you can't be like your are at home or even like at school as you know they are only practice". Those wonderful children of ours went in yesterday trying to remember everything that mums and dads, their tutors, teachers, bro's, sis's told them. Thats alot of stuff for a young child of 10 or 11 to remember.

We should all be very very proud of them we can tell them that in some ways they have had another practice of the real thing so next week will not be a surprise they know now what to expect not the questions but just the whole different atmosphere they have another chance.

Now just an idea and you may think not but I have prepared my dd a 'certificate of excellence' nothing flash, found it on my windows package it is to commend her for all the effort she has put in to this whole process. we will give it to her later(couldn't yesterday as DH was working)and also felt it better if today. We did it for my son three years ago becasue I really felt he deserved it, he still has it and I recall him being very chuffed and hoping it will give dd the same boost and reassurance fo just how proud we ar eno matter what the outcome. If you are looking for something to do today why not create one.

So I had better do some work now. I started this ages ago so you are probably all around by now.

TTFN

Mel
x

PS

sorry no doubt I have made loads of spelling errors
Road Runner

mel x

Post by Road Runner »

where are you all

Ambridge, Sally Anne, Bucks Mum, Andy b everyone else and you foudn another cave in rehab

Mel
x
laid back son worried mum

Post by laid back son worried mum »

I know where Ambridge and S-A are but the rest are probably running up a certificate as per your suggestion. :lol:
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Greta

You are a naughty girl.:wink:

You now have 2 PMs waiting for you!

Patricia
annie x

Post by annie x »

Hi I 'm new here. A bit late as we have already done 1 test. Can I ask how the tests are made up. I know there are 21 different types of questions. Will the types in the first exam not be repeated in the second ? Help please !
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Annie

Welcome.

The first test contains 12 types from the 21. The second test will contain:

The other 9 plus Zs plus 2 from the first test.

Or 8 of the 9 plus Zs plus 3 from the first test.

The types that came up in the first test cannot be discussed on the forum as many children have not taken the test yet.

PAtricia