Daily revision or not?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now

Daily revision or not?

Post by Guest »

I am interested to know what others think is the right amount of work to do.

Should we revise daily or is this too much?My daughter is scoring about 65 to 68.She never completes a paper.Type I is a big problem.I didn't realise her mental maths isn't up to scratch and feel there isn't time now to sort it out.Do all types always come up?

I feel I want to do lots of revision to try and get a few more marks to make me feel more comfortable about her chances. Her tutor says now is the time to relax and if she doesn't know it by now she never will. She doesn't want to see her any more so I am on my own.

Post by Guest »

Dear Guest,

It's never too late.

Purchase IPS techniques and pactice book or Verbal Reason CD Vol 1 which contains 50 questions of each type.
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Many tutors advise to increase practice at this stage!!!
If your daughter needs to improve speed, do daily practices. 30mns a day for a few weeks would leave time to relax and play. IPS do 30mns and 6mns papers.
The hard bit is to prepare well without the child feeling the pressure too much..
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Guest

Yes, it's never too late it's a last 'push' to the final post.

Has your tutor given you a reason for not wanting to see your daughter anymore?

What test papers have you been using?

If maths is a weak spot, give her 20 'sums' a day using all 4 operations, with numbers under 150. eg

18+19+45=
6x9+34=
106-56-36=

Whenever there is two subtractions it is easier to add them together and take away the total.

106-92 becomes easy.

In addition give her a 10x10 times table square every day, should take approx 4 mins, longer to start off with.

That's 10 numbers across the top, not in order and including 11 and 12 and the same down

Patricia

Post by Guest »

Hi Patricia

Thanks for the advice. I think she will have a fit if I try and do number work with her every night but I will try! We have had a lot of huffing and puffing about doing the papers!

We have used the tutors e-papers , Susan Daughtry Bright Sparks and IPS.I have kept back the NFER for the moment.

The tutor is not seeing any of her pupils any more.This is her teaching style.She told me in front of my daughter I should take her somewhere nice the weekend before! Unfortunately this is not my style as I always work to the last minute on things. She said that if we keep working we are making it look too important.

Any more advice would be much appreciated.
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Guest

The unfortunate thing is, it IS important.

Start the Nfer now they are types HIKNOS missing, therefore MUST practice these along side, IPS additional questions.

Maths 10 at the table BEFORE breakfast.

10 when she comes home from school.

Times table after tea.

Sorted, perhaps with a little bribery, perhaps 50p a session, as long as there are no moans about completing the task, no spending it until the 11 plus is over.

You say she doesn't finish the tests in time, is there a type of question she struggles on ?

Ensure when All maths questions are completed the child writes down all stages, it's NOT mental maths, they are working quickly, their heads are full of numbers/codes/vocab, silly mistakes occur. MUST, quickly make notes, whenever my students get any of the 4 maths questions wrong, 9 times out of 10 its because they have not written anything down.

My stock reply, 'So, where are your notes?' Children should be scoring near on 100% in the maths questions.

Patricia
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now