Are the two tests marked separately?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Becky

Are the two tests marked separately?

Post by Becky »

Just wondering if they treat each test separately.

Do they look at all the scores for both tests together, then make their adjustments for age, gender, comparisons within the cohort, percentage to pass etc? Or do they pass a certain percentage for the first test, and then another for the second? (Not sure if I've explained myself well enough, sorry.)

Just grasping for some hope really as DD found the first test much easier that than the second, so wondered if she might have a better chance of "passing" that if it was treated separately from the second, as many others found it harder.

Roll on Nov 21st!!
Road Runner

Mel x

Post by Road Runner »

Hi Becky

Thats a good question and I am sure someone around will know the answer. I would have thought that they would mark them seperately and consider the cohort, ages etc too. Funny your dd found the first much easier, my dd found the second easier. Saying that you just cannot tell.

ITs the waiting thats the killer now

Melx
willow

Post by willow »

Hi Mel x and Becky,

Yes both tests are marked (by computer) and standardised seperately as well, Bucks county confirmed this when I wrote in for DD1's raw score last year. I don't think there is any adjustment for gender any more. The childrens scores are compared to others in their own age group, ie, September or August. Standardisation comes into effect when their are disparities in scores between the age groups.

DD2 found second test better than the first, (she did actually complete the 2nd paper). I'm not sure if that was more to do with being better prepared as she knew some of the types that would come up.

In some ways the waiting for results is even worse than the testing process!!!
Road Runner

Mel x

Post by Road Runner »

Hi Willow

You said you actually requested your dd raw score last year. Did you get it and was it what you expected. I remember when my son took the tets three years ago. He was getting high scores at home just before the test and yet only scored 124 in the first and 120 in the second which I was surprised about as he is also an August birthday so I thought he would have got a higher standardised score. This is also why I am still so nervous this time round. Again my dd has scored high at home and also in her school practice tets(better then sons) but it still doesn't reassure me as it is so hard to know what it would take for them to pass.

Mel
willow

Post by willow »

Hi mel,

Yes they did send me raw scores. DD1 qualified with standardised scores of 129 and 123, I thought getting the raw score would help with a benchmark of score needed to pass, she is an October birthday and DD2 is August. What was interesting was the first test (129) the raw score was 74/80 and the other was 70/80. Given the standardised score I didn't expect her to have got that many questions correct.

This year DD2 was scoring about the same as DD1 if not higher on practice papers, but she really struggled especially with first test as we hadn't had a problem with timing for months. Maths isn't her strong point but she has very good vocab, so I'm hoping she did well enough to get through with second test!!
Road Runner

Melx

Post by Road Runner »

Hi Willow

Well thats what I thought. How can a child getting 76/80 get a std score of 129 I would have expected it to be nearer to 135 or something. 141 is the highest and I assume that is 80/80 so how can there be such a gap?? This kind of suggests to me that you really do haveto be scoring raw scores of at least 70.

I can understand you wanting a bench mark. Tell me did your dd1 scores represent what she had been scoring in practice and also (I'm sorry but clearly very nervous) did dd1 find it alot harder??

Thanks

Mel
willow

Post by willow »

Hi mel,

Don't be sorry it's fine. I feel the same it's a very nerve racking time.
Yes DD1 scores fairly accurate with practice, on bright sparks usually 90% upwards. This year DD2 not so, her practices higher than DD1 and timing ok, but in real test only got to q66. I think it all depends on the combination of question types on the paper. In addition, although the raw score required each year will vary a little due to size and ability of the cohort, I think the number of children tutored now is getting higher every year which aslo raises the raw score needed to get the magic 121!!!!

How did you child feel after each test??
Road Runner

Mel x

Post by Road Runner »

Well when dd came home after the first test she said it was hard. She finished it with about two minutes to go and she said she did guess a few.

After the second test she said it was easier. She finished with atleast 10 minutes and she said she guessed 2 or 3ish.

DD found the Bright sparks the harder of the papers we used. On the first pack I recall she was scoring between 62 & 70 and the second pack between 70 and 76. Where as when she did papers at school she scored over 90% on all three.

I guess there is no real way of knowing and I don't think anyone can feel 100% confident.

Mel
BLANCA

Post by BLANCA »

Hi Mel

Do you think your dd found the first real paper harder than bright sparks?
Road Runner

Mel x

Post by Road Runner »

Hi there

Blanca I have pm'd you.

Willow based on your first dd's results do you think it has given you a good idea of what is required and what your dd2 may need to get as she is an Auguist birthday. My dd is a July birthday so may need similar to yours?

Mel
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now