Go to navigation
It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:47 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: 13+
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:50 pm 

Don't worry, it is not for me!!!

A friend of ours' child who is at a local private school would like to try and get into an Aylesbury grammar in time for Year 9 (Sept 09).

They do appreciate places are few and far between at this age but their query is...what is the 13+ really like.

I could bore them senseless about the 11+ and 12+ but don't actually know anyone who has sat the 13+, whether successfully or not. Are any 'guests' lurking on the Bucks site who have actual experience of the 13+ and would be prepared to come out of the closet and shed more light on it? :lol:

Are the questions really the same as 11+ (although the kids are almost three years older?) and is it 90 q's in 45 mins?

Do they sit in a 13+ room altogether to take the 13+ (certainly when DS took the 12+ there were no 13+ candidates in the same hall?).

If anyone has any comments, I would really appreciate it.

Ambridge x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:50 pm 

Hi Ambridge

I have thought about this long and hard, and looked at all the information I have, but I have no absolute facts on the 13+! The best I can offer is this:

:: As far as I am aware the question paper is the same as that for the 12+, i.e. 85 questions in 45 minutes, and age standardisation compensates for the extra 12 months between the 12+ & 13+.

:: I faintly recall from some figures that I saw a couple of years ago that the pass rate was similar to the 12+ (70% odd). I have not seen any recent figures for the 12+ versus 13+.

:: The school allocation success rate really doesn't enter into it, because there are so few places by Year 9. It is a local lottery by 13+, and I think that it would be wise to approach the test without any expectation of a place, and also talk to the school about vacancies and waiting lists ahead of the test.

:: If the 12+ and 13+ candidates sit the same test, there would be no obvious difference between them at the test centre. I feel fairly sure therefore that the test is the same, and the testing centres are also the same.

Not very specific, but I hope it helps anyway.

Best wishes
Sally-Anne

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:03 pm 

I doubt there are places at AGS - unless someone leaves. Most schools fill up after 12+.

http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/bcc/content/i ... =177570625

says 10 children got places in Y9 this year -

They have missed the application deadline for September 2009 ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:13 am 

Dear Ambridge

I agree with Sally-Anne

As long as it is not a foundation school, the same test is used. I have only tutored 2 for this age group, both received the same paperwork as the 12 plus. Both received places, 1 at their preferred school the other at Burnham Grammar [out of their area] The child out of area successfully appealed and gained free transport.

Not sure of my facts here, but both children reported to me that they sat a second sitting [same day] the first sitting [according to them] looked younger...

Patricia

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:33 pm 

Thank you for those comments, I will pass them on - they have already filled out the forms to sit the test in Feb.

And yes, I agree they are very much relying on people leaving to get a place at a particular school, not sure what their preference is, will suggest they join this Forum for further info!

Ambridge x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:06 pm 

Ambridge I have PMd you