Permission granted to sit 12plus

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
dejavu

Permission granted to sit 12plus

Post by dejavu »

Have just heard from County today that DD can take the 12plus. It is at the Grange in Aylesbury on 16 Feb at 1.30. Children will sit at desks in alphabetical surname order. Don't suppose anyone has a rough idea of how many will be in the examination room?

As predicted by Sally-Anne, they included a paltry practice paper of 10 questions. They suggest that the first 3 you work through with your child as examples, and the remianing 7 should be done within 10 minutes.
many thanks
dejavu
Dad40

Post by Dad40 »

We've also received this. Much earlier than the 21st November target date for permission decisions. I wonder if we should read anything into that.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

They usually run more than one session - if they use the hall I would suspect there will be 150 or so -
dejavu

12plus tests

Post by dejavu »

Oh dear, I didn't realise that there might be 150 children sitting the test! Eeeek.

As regards Dad40 post - I don't think we can read anything into it apart from the fact that County want to get it over and done with as quickly as possible.

My daughter's friend also applied for the 12+ at the same time as us. She got 113 (pass was 121) but for the SATS got 3 fives for teacher assessments (from a school which had an Outstanding Ofsted report) and got two Level fives Sats score out of three. But they have just told me that she has been refused - she cannot take the 12+. They have contacted the head at her new school, who said they will support her. And they have phoned County who have said - they might have made a mistake, but we will get back to you - Who needs this extra stress!!!
many thanks
dejavu
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Two level 5s is usually the standard they are looking for - it may be a mistake - you can appeal against 'refusal to test' anyway.
Ambridge

Post by Ambridge »

As many Forum members may remember :roll: my one big bug-bear last year when dealing with the 12+ and BCC was they didn't keep to their date guidelines which I found very frustrating.

So our 'permission to sit the 12+' letter came out of the blue and our 12+ results came at the beginning of May, not the end of that month, as stated on a large poster at The Grange - (although ours did not arrive until 5 days later so we picked up a copy letter from BCC once we realised the results were out!)

His school allocation letter came on time but we then weren't able to appeal for oversubscription until the end of July and finally got the results of that during early August, so it was a matter of holding out until the end!!

However, the end result was great so we immediately forgot about the frustrating date line issues - but I am sure if we hadn't have been as successful, I would have written a 'Mrs Grumpy from Bucks letter' to BCC.

Sally-Anne occassionally despairs of the BCC and is always interested if they do not keep to their word or mess up :shock:

For your info...the hall at the Grange when my DS sat the 12+ last year was heaving but very well organised and had the strictest invigilators ever! DS said there was not so much as a dropped pencil or chair scrape throughout so it seemed to be like a small military manoeuvre!!! :lol:

Good luck to you all in the coming weeks.

Ambridge x
sarah

Post by sarah »

We got our letter yesterday.

See you there dejavu!!!!

Sarah x
nicaukids

Post by nicaukids »

Hello

We too got the letter for Grange on Monday 16th Feb, but sitting is at 3pm... so would assume there's lots going for it :shock:

Time to knuckle down [again] :(
Nickyx
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Ambridge wrote:Sally-Anne occassionally despairs of the BCC and is always interested if they do not keep to their word or mess up :shock:
"To err is human, to forgive divine." (Alexander Pope)

There have been occasions when errors close to unforgiveable have been made, but luckily I cannot recall any in the last 12 months. So, either Admissions are getting it right more often, or my memory isn't what it used to be! :lol:

Moving the test to an earlier date was apparently done to allow more time for Appeals, and in most cases that should prevent children not knowing their destination school for September before the end of the summer term. Altogether a humane move, and one which is definitely to be applauded.

I compared the timetable for the old 12+ timings with the new one, and there is certainly flexibility built into the new timings, so don't be surprised if either or both of the results and school allocations turn up early.

The difficulty for Admissions will obviously be that the 12+ will now be running in parallel to the 11+ school allocations and appeals procedure for several extra weeks compared to the old timings. I think that under the circumstances Admissions are very wise to build in some "bunce" to the system.

Anyway, getting information on the school transfer process earlier than expected is A Good Thing in my book!

S-A
[color=#FFFFFF][size=50]http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk[/size][/color]