11 plus and dyslexia

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
whiterose

11 plus and dyslexia

Post by whiterose »

Hi I am ooc and have just been told yesterday that my child has "Dyslexic tendencies", he has undergone screening, and as yet I am not sure where he is on the "spectrum". However he is above average for the age group in nearly all subjects, (including reading), but has marked difficulties with writing, spelling and phonetics. He desperately wants to go to The Royal Latin. The fact that he is above average is testament to the huge effort he has made. He balked at all the practice papers. I have seen on the forums that some authorities allow extra time for Dyslexic children depending on severity. Can the fact that he his screening missed the exam dates by just a couple of weeks be grounds for an appeal? Is there anyone out there who can advise.

Many thanks
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Yes, an appeal panel can take account of this. They will of course want to see the evidence. The more severe the dyslexia, the more weight it might be given.
Etienne
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

In our appeal we got short shrift for this!

We had the report saying child should get extra time but this had not been given this in the 11+ - despite too very close scores and predicted three 5s, supportive reference and high levels in Y5 optional test (5c in both) we got nowhere ....

Hope you have more luck.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now