Radio Four 8pm 11th December

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

rachelmary

Radio Four 8pm 11th December

Post by rachelmary »

Just had a call from my mother in law who tells me there is a programme on radio 4 tonight which is about grammar school selection and coaching and they are following progress of 3 families in Bucks. She thought that it might be part one of two.

Sounds interesting!

Happy Christmas to you all
Mum of 3
Dad40

Post by Dad40 »

Yes it's called "A Social Selection" and the first of two is on at 8.00-8.30 tonight.
Greta2

Post by Greta2 »

I have just listened to the first programme and actually felt it was a reasonable representation... a few comments that were said for effect, such as "one of the foremost tutor in bucks" (based on what?) but overall not as bad a portrayal as I had feared.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi All

You may not have noticed that there is another thread running on this topic here:

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 2&start=10

I have posted my comments there, because I am sure it will provoke a debate from all four corners, but I am quite happy to leave this thread open for further discussion for Bucks people.

I know exactly who the "foremost tutor in Bucks" is Greta. A PM is on it's way to you.

Sally-Anne
[color=#FFFFFF][size=50]http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk[/size][/color]
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Looking at the recent replies on the other thread, we might prefer to discuss the content from a Bucks perspective here! :wink:

I have copied my comments below:
Well, I am mulling it over, but I think it was a sort-of interesting programme after all. (Well, not exactly riveting when you've been around the system as long as I have, but at least I wasn't smashing the radio against the wall in rage! )

It certainly didn't prove the point about tutoring making the difference though.

St. Mary's School Amersham is probably somewhat superior to Brushwood School Chesham, although I haven't looked at the latest SATS, so Naomi probably had a slight advantage in terms of reading, vocabulary and maths.

:: Naomi, St. Mary's School, tutored for 9 months by "a highly respected and well-known tutor" (and I know exactly who that must be) at a cost of £1,800. Did not qualify - scored 114 and 106.

:: Jonathan, Brushwood, tutored for 2 years at a cost of around £2000, passed with 127 (the second score wasn't given).

:: Kathleen, Brushwood, - home-tutored for 2 months, did not qualify, but appears to be within range of an Appeal (no scores given).

There was no mention of children who are not tutored at all because their parents do not have either the ability or funds to do so, and they are the people that Andrew Bomford's researcher was never going to find if s/he couldn't manage to get beyond the "end of the Met Line".

To correct a mistake that the presenter made twice:
Schools are only allowed to take the children through 3 practice papers.

(Later) Schools are allowed to give "2 or 3" practice papers.
The second statement contradicts the first, and neither is true. Bucks schools are required to take the children through a familiarisation paper which introduces the children to the techniques required for the test, followed by the 3 practice papers. Heads have to sign a form to confirm that this has all been done.

And by the way, Naomi is in luck - the Misbourne is a considerably superior Upper School to many in the area.
Sally-Anne
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now