Thoughts on First Test

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Ambridge

Thoughts on First Test

Post by Ambridge »

Hmmm not ever so happy....in the last week or so my son has been doing his 4 x Nfer papers and finished all well within time (10 mins to spare at least) and getting 74/5 out of 80 - so we thought we were on a bit of a roll. Today we told him to relax, take his time, do his best, I am sure all 11+ parents said the same script.

But... he was only on to no. 76 when they announced 1 min to go so guessed the last three (this was Type N 4 words/3codes) he said they were really hard and he had missed one out earlier which he didn't have time to get back to. He said the vocab in general was as hard as he had seen - but wasn't down but didn't feel like coming out singing and dancing. A couple of kids were crying in the exam which I found a bit heartbreaking.

Anyway, we are treating today as the dress rehearsal before the real thing and it could have been fine! He was so sweet and really an old head on young shoulders when he asked what time was dinner as he would like to do a practice test tonight to keep in 'training'! I think we might try and dissuade him and find some sport on tv instead.

How did yours find it? And what is your routine for the next few days? All comments and advice gratefully received.
nervousmum

Thoughts on First Test

Post by nervousmum »

Not really sure how to guage his response to the 'how was it?' question. Bits and pieces of info coming out about how he missed a few and then checked back when he had finished. he said others talked about answer to questions and had different answers to his. Dont know really what to think. but only next week to get through. He is already talking about who is going to open the results envelope.
Ambridge

Post by Ambridge »

Thanks Patricia for the actual list of what appeared, its very helpful and your advice is just first class x
Shining Levels

Post by Shining Levels »

I have to share the comments about the Type N's.

My Lad seemed to think they were hard and he normally does OK with this type.

He also recalled that a few of the type P's were quite tough as well.

It's taken its toll though - he didn't manage to stay awake for the whole of 'AutumnWatch' :-)

...neither did I !
Where the air and heaven knows what else collides.
CHUCKY

Post by CHUCKY »

My child thought it went well but also said that the vocab questions were really difficult and in the end had to guess on three of them. He said it was very callenging but a number of his freinds were saying how easy they thought it was but maybe that was just playground talk........
np

first & second test

Post by np »

my daughter found the first test easier than the second.She is and so am I glad that it is over.She says the second one :( had more vocabulary in it.She sat it at school on tues and thur last week. :!:
np

Re: first & second test

Post by np »

[quote="np"]

my daughter found the first test easier than the second.She is and so am I glad that it is over.She says the second one :( had more vocabulary in it.She sat it at school on tues and thur last week. :!:She has been practicing with nfer
np

Re: first & second test

Post by np »

[quote="np"]

my daughter found the first test easier than the second.She is and so am I glad that it is over.She says the second one :( had more vocabulary in it.She sat it at school on tues and thur last week. :!:
ah

11plus bucks

Post by ah »

Hi
My daughter woke up Tuesday unsure as to what was happening in her stomach (butterflies) and also agrees that the first test she did at school on tuesday was good but the second had too much vocab -lets hope you both passed the first with flying colours!!! so no more worrying for the mums eh !!