Information on application numbers

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Guest1960

Information on application numbers

Post by Guest1960 »

Does anyone know if BCC publishes information regarding how many applications are received for each grammar school and how many are successful? Also figures on the number of applications (successful and otherwise) from outside the catchment area?
Thanks

Post by Guest »

HI ,
if you look at the prospectus,certainly for Royal Latin as an e.g, on the information about admissions sheet, it tells you the number of first preferences for the academic year, second prefernces and third preferences; also the qualified first ,second and third preferences.
Hope this helps! might be worth you looking at the admission sheet ,re school you're interested in.
Jed

Post by Jed »

If you know someone who applied last year, they will have been sent a list with the allocation letter in March.

The list doesn't give actual numbers of applications, but does give school by school details of successful criteria, e.g. "Waddesdon: all in-area and out-area regular church-goers, out-area occasional church-goers to a distance of 4.5 miles", or something similar.

In many ways, this is more useful than knowing the raw number of applicants as it gives you a basis on which to make a decision about which schools are realistic for your circumstances.

I think all LEAs produce similar lists.

Jed
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

The sort of information Jed refers to can be found in the Allocation Profiles:
http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/bcc/content/i ... 1902924256

I'm not sure where to find specific numbers.
Etienne
Guest1960

Post by Guest1960 »

Thanks! I'll follow those up.

Post by Guest »

Please can someone explain the way that catchment areas are formed? I am in the catchment for JH/RGS but my son would like to go to Borlase - where his sister went - she finished 6th form 3 years ago. I have been looking on Bucks CC website and noticed that the catchment doesn't stretch to us in Stokenchurch (we have moved since siblng started at SWBG), but it goes into Northend (Oxfordshire) and Maidenhead (Berkshire). Does this mean that out of County chilfredn will get preference over Bucks county children? I have looked at the distances from Northend/Maidenhead to SWBG and we live closer. Do you think stating this fact on our application will provide any clout? I'm confused!
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Anonymous wrote:Does this mean that out of County chilfredn will get preference over Bucks county children?
I think the answer to your question is that out-county children in the catchment area should get preference over in-county children who are not in the catchment area.

In the light of the Greenwich and Rotherham judgements, BCC cannot discriminate specifically in favour of in-county children, but they can lawfully give priority to in-catchment children (and, as you have pointed out, there are instances where the catchment area crosses over local authority borders).

Catchment areas are reviewed regularly, and one would expect a consultation period before any changes are implemented. All sorts of factors are no doubt taken into account, from historic patterns to demographic trends.

PS: You might like to look at the thread "Out of area allocations" 29/3/06.
Etienne
J

allocation profiles

Post by J »

Etienne.

Thanks for your useful link about allocation profiles for bucks secondary schools for last year. Is there a similar profile available for oxfordshire secondary schools?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear J

Information about allocations to Oxfordshire secondary schools for Sept. 2006 is published here:
http://portal.oxfordshire.gov.uk/conten ... vin_on.pdf

Regards
Etienne
Lord Williams Parent

Post by Lord Williams Parent »

I don't know about all Oxfordshire schools, but if it helps Lord Williams's in Thame Sep 2006 intake included 87 pupils from Bucks as far away as 6-8 miles away, i.e. Risborough and Stoke Mandeville. But Sep 2005 was a different story - very few out-of-catchment and many in Bucks as near as 2-3 miles away disappointed.

I think the demographic trend is generally downwards, so might be worth putting the Oxfordshire Comp above the Bucks Upper if you're keen. It makes NO difference to your chances of a place at the Bucks Upper if you place the Oxfordshire school above it. Some parents (and schools) still believe placement is significant on Bucks allocation form, but NO schools take this into account. You'll just get the highest preference on your list for which you are elligible.

Good luck.