time warnings???

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
worried Bucks

time warnings???

Post by worried Bucks »

Does anybody know, is it regulation that the invigilator notifys the children when there is 10 min, 5 min and 1 min left??? as in muy sons test yesterday, they didnt let them know, and just said, at the end thats it times up pencils down without any warning for them, so any missed questions didnt even get a guess.
guest2

time warnings

Post by guest2 »

Not sure about any specific rules and regulations but certainly my daughter's teacher/invigilator has always announced the half-way point and then gives 10, 5, 2 minutes (and possibly even 1?) to go. My daughter also said yesterday that she managed to change an answer she'd been unsure of just as the teacher was counting down ten seconds to go! Sounds bad/extremely unfair if there was NO indication at all of time remaining in your son's case ...
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear All

There is no set rule, each school has there own preference, hence I said in my tips for tests, to use a watch. I know of many children who were caught out with timing, parents give certain times at home, schools give another.

Patricia
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Patricia and Worried Bucks,

The "11+ transfer to secondary school Headteacher's manual" gives the advice that time should be told after 25mns and 45mns:

http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/schools/docum ... 1_plus.pdf

page 53 (Appendix 3: protocol for school testing).

I don't know if the rules have to be stricly followed.
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Catherine

These are suggested times only, it says 'and the times at which you PLAN to give interim timings'

Each school is left to their own devices!

Patricia
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Dear Patricia,

Yep, need to read properly....