COLYTON INFORMATION PLEASE!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Devon

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mumbojumbo

COLYTON INFORMATION PLEASE!

Post by mumbojumbo »

This is my first post - my child will probably sit 11plus for Colyton in Nov 09. I'd love to hear from anyone who sat the test in 08 or 07 - any snippets about what the 3 papers covered, the format etc. For example I understand from reading this forum, that the English paper this time didn't include a comprehension, just 2 pieces of extended writing. Was the familiarisation paper a good indication of the real thing? Anything you can pass on will be gratefully received - thankyou
Kit

Post by Kit »

I have 2 DCs who have sat the test one in 2006 and one in 2008.

The school website description is accurate for the Maths and VR papers but wrong for the English paper this year. There was no comprehension (unlike 2006) but instead a letter to a friend and a piece of creative writing ("something that turned out better than you expected"). There was no choice of titles for either.

The familiaristion paper was exactly the same format as the real test so at least if there are any surprises next year you will have 2 weeks notice!
happymum

Post by happymum »

The 2007 English paper did indeed have comprehension - which was a surprise for my son as the familiarisation test did not. So my advice would be to prepare your child for the possibility that the two tests may differ.
Kit

Post by Kit »

Ah, that is interesting: they obviously want to keep us on our toes!

My DD this year was surprised at the format of the practice paper as we had practiced some comprehension and she actually asked the invigilator at the end "will there be a letter in the real test?" and he replied that it would be just the same as today. So it may be worth asking the school beforehand, although I don't think they are generally very forthcoming, or encouraging your DS to ask on the practice day so you then have 2 weeks to go over any unexpected topics (letter writing in our case).
mumbojumbo

colyton info please

Post by mumbojumbo »

Thanks Kit and Happymum for your feedback, it's really helpful. How long do they allow for the piece(s) of writing?
Anything you can tell me the the maths and VR? I'm assuming they're pretty standard?
Thanks
jollyjersey

More Colyton Information too,please

Post by jollyjersey »

Hello out there. First post as well. Congrats to everyone whose children have made it this year. Hopefully, we'll bump into each other one day! Meanwhile, my DS will also take the test in November 09. I would also like more info on the VR test. I understand that it's NFER and multiple choice but I don't have a clue about the 15 or 21 types that are mentioned. I'd started with the Bond papers, thinking that they were all the same - slightly isolated over here - and it's only thanks to this forum that I have been enlightened on that.
I'd also like to know how long CGS gives you to move into the area? We have family in Colyton itself but we obviously live outside the commuting distance at the moment!
Hope you can help and thanks. :)
JJ
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

From my recollection, we very nearly applied to Colyton last year, there is no catchment area. They were happy for us to apply from Leicestershire.

http://www.colytongrammar.devon.sch.uk/ ... /index.htm
jollyjersey

Catchment Areas

Post by jollyjersey »

Thank you, that's reassuring. It's all probably a lot less complicated than I think it is.
JJ
Kit

Post by Kit »

I'm afraid I don't know anything about the 15 or 21 types as we never got to that level of detail, but my DD did say there were fewer Q's (I think 80 instead of 85) than in the shop-bought NFER test we had tried, but please don't rely on this as she was a bit hazy after the tests and I did not want to give her the third degree about it all!

According to DD, the Maths was just the same as the shop-bought NFER test.
jollyjersey

Colyton

Post by jollyjersey »

Thank you. Having read lots of posts, I veer between manic panic and periods of calm where I am rational and think how bad can it be?!

JJ
JJ
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now