Anybody out there for 2011 entry?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Devon

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Dartmoormum

Re: Anybody out there for 2011 entry?

Post by Dartmoormum »

Much like you very little is going on. We will be hiding from the people who are getting hyper. We have no tutor and are just planning on doing a couple more full papers from the past papers pack recommended and that is all. I am taking a what is meant to be will be attitude. I did fall for the whole just do a couple of past papers line that the head put forward on open day. I think he is probably right.
tiredmumof2

Post by tiredmumof2 »

We are getting more chilled now the exam is coming up. If DD isn't (nearly) ready now, unlikely she'll be (completely) ready by November.

We are lucky though to have a very good comprehensive to fall back on!
tiredmumof2

Post by tiredmumof2 »

Hi All

Nearly there now, with practice test in 3 weeks or so.

DC is still chilled, but I have heard on the grapevine that lots of DC are registered to take the test this year, so I'm not so chilled...

Where are you all?.....
pilchard

Post by pilchard »

Hi Tiredmum

We're still plodding along, but DS is getting fed up with waiting to take it and we all just want it to be over now. He's going to do one more VR and one more Maths practice paper between now and the real thing and that's it. It's interesting that you've heard that numbers will be up this year; I thought that the numbers may actually fall as all candidates have to take the exam at the school, rather than be able to sit it where they currently live. I wondered if it may put off some people from making a potentially long journey twice. About half of DS' class are sitting it, but some of the parents seem keener than their DCs on the whole idea. One girl DS knows says that she doesn't want to go anyway and isn't going to try very hard. :shock: Shame she can't (or won't) tell her parents that. :(

Try not to worry too much - you sound fairly calm anyway. There are always loads of scary rumours about the test every year but the real numbers taking the exam seem fairly constant.

Best of luck

Pilchard
tiredmumof2

Post by tiredmumof2 »

Hello Pilchard

Glad to know there is still someone out there!

16 kids are taking the exam from my DD's year! I could be scaremongering here, but a friend of mine is a teacher, who knows teachers at Colyton - apparently there were over 400 children who registered to sit the exam after the summer open day....(It's that grapevine, "friend of a friend" thing isn't it.)

Just a lot of hearsay, as you say, but suddenly Maynard and Exeter are becoming more attractive because I'm not sure anymore that the local comprehensive will deliver.

I'm a big fan of state education and we even moved to live near our local comprehensive which has a fantastic reputation. However, it no longer sets for anything except maths. Having just reviewed the recent key stage 3 results, it appears that for English over 50% reach only a level 5 or under and only 10% a level 7. I'm not sure that this school is going to have the best facilities to stretch the brighter kids, even with "differentiated" teaching. It's a bit like saying Steven Hawking and I would be fine in the same class as long as our teaching was differentiated (well, if he taught me, which is what I suspect happens between brighter and less bright kids, in the school class too).

Roll on the big day.
Dartmoormum

Post by Dartmoormum »

We got our room allocation letter today. It says not to take anything. What about a water bottle ? Do you think that is OK ? What will your kids be taking ? They say there is a snack, does anybody know what this will be ? TIA.

Can't wait for it all to be over :D
tiredmumof2

Post by tiredmumof2 »

I think they may be too busy to need water - my DD would only knock it over anyway!

Apparently the snack is a sausage roll or hot dog type thing, and this is what my DD is going for, and is looking forward to. The children get this after the second test. We are told that English is last, after the break.

Forget the VR, maths and English: food is what my DD is after.
Dartmoormum

Post by Dartmoormum »

Thanks for the quick answer. Oh dear he hates sausages. :(
pilchard

Post by pilchard »

We've got our letter too. DS likes soggy sausage rolls, so he should be OK. Dartmoormum - there must be a veggie alternative. Would your DS go for that option possibly?

Shame it's not an eating test. It sounds as if Tiredmum's DD and my DS would be allocated places easily!
tiredmumof2

Post by tiredmumof2 »

Oh yes.

Our kids are reknowned in the village for being unfussy eaters with large appetites. DD would win hands down on an eating contest. You will all know which one is my DD, she will be 7 times the size of all the other DC.

In fact, the only question DD could think to ask at the Colyton open day was what the lunches were like. Soggy sausage rolls will seem like heaven (although probably there won't be enough).

I feel that it is rather unfortunate that brains, lots of luck and a willingness to concentrate for 3 hours are what's required here, instead.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now