FT league table rankings of Devon Schools

Eleven Plus (11+) in Devon

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
nearly there

FT league table rankings of Devon Schools

Post by nearly there »

As mentioned in another thread, the league tables can be manipulated by schools by offering soft subjects and alternative qualifications and be quite misleading.

the financial times league tables give a very good guide to academic rigour in schools by focussing on Core A level subjects (not general studies, critical thinking etc.) and the grade achieved per A level entry.

I used the most recent 2011 tables when I was considering local schools and hope this rankingmight be useful for anyone interested:

Colyton grammar. 50th
Maynard (ind). 102nd
Exeter (ind). 125th
Wellington (ind). 290
Torquay girls GS. 324
Torquay boys GS. 364
Churston Fer. GS. 412
Devonport girls GS 421
Devonport boys GS 444
Queen's, Taunton(ind) 518
King's, Taunton(ind). 625
Taunton sch (ind). 743
Plymouth HS girls. 964
Plymouth coll(ind). 1000
Blundells- results witheld

And some comprehensives:
woodroffe. 1393rd
King's, ottery. 1532
Holyrood 1581
Sidmouth. 1610
Honiton. 2062
Axe Valley. 2069

This is out of a total of 2190 schools offering A levels on the FT list.

I'll try and add a link.

The Sutton trust report on Oxbridge entry also made interesting reading.
I will dig out the relevant numbers. I think the only Devon school in the top 50 for % going to Oxbridge was Colyton but I will have to check.

Here's the link

http://rankings.ft.com/secondary-schools/rankings" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(The secondary schools ranking includes both independent and state schools)
Last edited by nearly there on Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
nearly there

Re: FT league table rankings of Devon Schools

Post by nearly there »

For Oxbridge entry (% of pupils in year going) Colyton GS is 36th overall out of all schools state and independent combined ( and 4th state school) Exeter school was the only other school listed above to make it into the top 100 and was 81st

For entry to "highly selective" universities Colyton was 3rd state school (81.5%)

Here's the Link- I haven't read the report ( a bit heavy) but the tables in appendix 2 are where I found these stats.

http://www.suttontrust.com/public/docum ... -final.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This data is a couple of years old and I know Colyton's Oxbridge entry has gone up since, I don't know about the others.

Sorry it's rather Colyton heavy, but this was our nearest selective so I concentrated on that one the most. There is also a top 100 comprehensives list in the appendix but I don't think any local ones featured.

unfortunately this is just reminding me why I will be a bit sad if my DC doesn't get a place there next week! I do think there are plenty of good schools in this area though....
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now